Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Sable rolls

Sable never passes up a chance to have her back scratched. Here she is rolling around in the grass letting the rough ground scratch her back for her.

She was "feeling her oats" when we were outside on Monday. I noticed while walking her this morning (yes, I took them out an hour ago at 4:30 a.m.) that she walked slower and dragged her feet. Of course it could have been too early for her. I know it was for me.

Blame the boxer. He was the one that woke me up and I couldn't get back to sleep. Blah!

Which does not set me in the best of moods for today. I have scheduled a troubleshooting segment today for what I hate the most about my job. Video. I don't do this part very often. You know how I love to solve a mystery. Not this one. I could care less about choppy video or video with no sound. I am not sure why. Probably because it deals with people interacting. I like machines.

This got dropped into my lap when nobody else could get anywhere with it. It will go like this. Peruby will check the physical cables/machine/equipment. The school will tell me that they have had problems since the beginning of time. I mean since the beginning of the school year. So-and -so, and so-and-so have been working on it. The video gets better, and then the next week it is choppy again. It is self-healing, it is never ending. It is a mystery and it is frustrating. Nothing is consistent.

They want me to test when they are not in a session. This means I call some test sites and stay connected for two minutes looking at a wall somewhere in a building in Columbus. This tells me nothing. The wall doesn't move or talk. How the heck can I tell if the video is choppy? How can I tell if the audio is cutting out? Walls don't talk. At least not in my world. Yet. You cannot troubleshoot when twenty-five students are sitting in a room watching a live autopsy. I know! Talk about "choppy". Sorry.

What I really hate is you troubleshoot something for hours and hours and come to find out - oh, wait a minute. I will hear "We called another school (outside of my organization's network) and they are all having the same issue. It is something at the state level." In other words I could have worked until the cows came home and there would never be a solution. I am telling you, this is how it is going to end up.

Bah!

1 comment:

Cheyenne said...

That's why I now prefer cats over dogs...you don't have to take them outside for walks at all hours of the day and night.