Seems like almost everybody has a purple or magenta rhododendron in their yard in my neighborhood. I can understand why. They are beautiful. I have always loved this flowering bush. I've considered trying to grow one myself but can never decide on the color.The flowers that were here before I moved in were the orange poppies, the violet-red azaleas and the white moonflowers. Before I knew about them I purchased the two pink peonies, one on each side of my house. They are blooming great.
I added some red tulips (a huge favorite of mine) which really don't do very well. I added the blue hydrangea (but that is next to the patio, not the house). I wanted mostly orange flowers to contrast against the dark gray of the house, like the poppies - the color seems to "pop" out.
But my azaleas in the front of the house are a beautiful violet red. They would probably bloom in and around the same time and I figure that would look silly together. That is if I plant it in the front of the house. If I plant it on either side it would contrast with the pink peony. Sigh. Nobody would see it in the back of the house.
So, nothing gets planted. No rhododendrons, anyway. I'd better get out there and plant my moonflower seeds or I won't have any of them this year. Somehow I manged to delete them from the side of my house last year and only had them near the patio. I picked all the seeds off of them to save for this year.
3 comments:
My moonflowers are vines and need places to climb. Are yours the same?
I always hated peonies when I was younger. I always called them "Ant Flowers" because of the ants it took to open them. When we moved into our house 25 years ago,. there was a patch of them in a little garden right next to the back door. I made my husband dig them up and get rid of them. Now, of course, older, wiser, and a bit more appreciative, I regret that!
Tabor - mine are more like a bush. I posted a photo on July 20, 2009 - but you can't really see the bush part. http://welcomemyworld.blogspot.com/2009/07/moonflowers-are-blooming.html#links
Dog Hair - the ants don't bother me too much. They aren't in the house. :)
Post a Comment