Taken from Journey Beneath the FallsI discovered a co-worker was at Niagara Falls a week before I was. He said his wife came down with food poisoning the day they left the area. He also remarked on the Nazi-like conduct of the border patrol. We were expecting that type of behavior from them.
The Journey Beneath the Falls was exhilarating in the fact that the spray coming from the falls invigorated you. It was akin to running through a sprinkler when you were young. Just fun stuff and everybody was laughing and giggling. The grass there was so lush and green you wanted to run and get a horse and let it chomp away.
Of course you had to take a dark, dank and basement smelly tunnel to get there. What got to all of us the most was the sheer number of pushy people. They would not take turns or stay to the right as we were directed. They jumped into the left side of the tunnel in some selfish effort to get ahead of the rest of us and in the meantime blocking the tourists coming out of the tunnel. At one lookout point we just got tired of the mass of rude people pushing to the front and waiting for our turn that was never going to come, that we just turned around and went back down the tunnel. We refused to sink to their level and push our way to the lookout.
Of course you had to take a dark, dank and basement smelly tunnel to get there. What got to all of us the most was the sheer number of pushy people. They would not take turns or stay to the right as we were directed. They jumped into the left side of the tunnel in some selfish effort to get ahead of the rest of us and in the meantime blocking the tourists coming out of the tunnel. At one lookout point we just got tired of the mass of rude people pushing to the front and waiting for our turn that was never going to come, that we just turned around and went back down the tunnel. We refused to sink to their level and push our way to the lookout.
I hesitate to pinpoint any nationality of people, but there were busloads and they literally stepped on you or pushed up against you. It was as if they were raised in a country so crowded that it has become normal for them to push, push, push. It can ruin it for you. I did tell my sisters that I read somewhere that many foreign folks were brought up in a rude and barbaric culture, so I guess they cannot be totally to blame.
We passed up some of the side trips because of this crowd. The next day it was just another busload and more pushing and shoving. Stepping on toes. You couldn't even say anything to them because they did not speak English. And they were long gone anyway, pushing past other unsuspecting tourists.
For the most part, the trip was a memorable one. I need to plan better next time and try to go during a less busy season. Maybe that will help.
We passed up some of the side trips because of this crowd. The next day it was just another busload and more pushing and shoving. Stepping on toes. You couldn't even say anything to them because they did not speak English. And they were long gone anyway, pushing past other unsuspecting tourists.
For the most part, the trip was a memorable one. I need to plan better next time and try to go during a less busy season. Maybe that will help.
4 comments:
Ah. Planning... Iknow there are seasons for certain countries.. example... January, the Brazilians visit Disney World in droves (and buses). Food for thought. I almost thought you were speaking about a country that has a reputation for being pushy tourists, but when you didn't mention bratwurst... (wink).
~S
Well, if that is the case then I guess I would have to mention tea...
We're about to leave for Brazil - our last chance to visit our son (he is finishing up his masters in art in Salvador) and our daughter-in-law... as well as connect with a few more of my husband's relatives there.
We're including a pilgrimage to Iguasu Falls. I wish you could come along as 'official photographer'!
I'd love to see the Iguasu Falls! Sounds wonderful! I hope you have a safe and adventurous trip!
Post a Comment