Sunday, July 01, 2007

Clouds in my head


I was sitting at my table this morning drinking my second cup of coffee, reading the Sunday paper and it started. That sick feeling in my head. Ugh, I thought. I got myself something to eat. Some starch. I tried to ignore it while reading the rest of the paper. I became irritated with the puzzle. I didn't know many of the answers. I found myself starting to read articles and then getting exasperated and moving on. Double ugh. I was getting real queasy, now. I took a migraine pill.

There is a time in every one's life when they know they are going to be sick and they just want to get it over with. Throw up and you feel better, right? Not with a migraine. Most of the time there is nothing to throw up and if you do, you don't feel better. In my case it makes my head pound until it feels like it is going to shoot off of my neck and shoulders like some clown out of a circus cannon. A lot of times I wish it would. Right into the toilet.

I went outside and sat in the shady side of the house and proceeded to weed the area around my moonflowers. My gosh it was a beautiful morning. I tried hard to ignore the feeling that was clouding my head. I took deep breaths of wonderfully clean air. The front door opened. My daughter asked if we could go canoeing today. My heart sank. Damn, stupid migraines! I told her I wasn't feeling well. She said "okay" and went back inside. I know first hand the epitome of "bursting someones bubble." You just take the joy right out of their face with one word. Migraine. It sucks. It sucks big time. Oh, sorry Mom. My Mom hated that word. I do too, but it just seems appropriate for the way I feel right now.

It has been over an hour and I have sipped a glass of alka seltzer. Trying, trying. I sit quietly at the computer with my bedroom windows open and the fans running to make it blessedly cool in here. I backed up all the pictures and work I did over the month of June onto my external hard drive. I should backup more often, but there you have it.

The eyes hurt. The back of my neck where it meets the base of my skull hurts. The temples hurt. Not a sharp pain, a dull yet annoying pain. I noticed something that I started doing years ago. I like to doodle. I would find myself drawing the parts of my body that were in pain. If my heel hurts, I would draw a foot and point to the part of the heel that was in pain. If my back hurt, same thing. I drew thousands of pictures of a person's head and the area of pain that I would be experiencing at the time.

I have just completed the head rolling, neck stretching and shoulder crunches. I even try arm flapping. Anything to get some blood flowing to my brain. Bring relief, bring relief! Trying, trying. Nauseated, I stop. Back to quiet. More fresh air is needed. Second day of vacation, not so good. Humph! I cleaned all day yesterday. See? I knew that cleaning makes me sick. Mental note to self: cut back on cleaning. LOL! Sense of humor? check.

1 comment:

Miki said...

Hey, Peruby,
sorry to hear that you had that awful migrane, hope your vacation is going better now! I hate when something takes over your whole world and you loose out on what is going on around you. You seem to deal well with not allowing the takeover! Anyhow, enjoy the rest of your vacation!