Monday, June 04, 2007

Four Thousand Books


Here is a photo of some of my Mom's old books. We boxed them up this past Saturday. My niece wants to keep them and store them. They are aged, to put it mildly. This is one wall of three. My Mom included pamphlets in this count I believe. She claimed to have over 800 cook books and I know this included pamphlets. She was a voracious reader. I recall her reading 4 books at a time. Then her eyesight failed her. She went to the eye doctor frequently and had many operations on cataracts, but still they failed her. I believe it was macular degeneration.

3 comments:

Tabor said...

So sad to lose the ability to do something you loved so much. Did she get books-on-tape? They even have the latest magazines in audio now.

Peruby said...

No, we didn't get her books on tape. She wouldn't touch a microwave, not sure if she would have messed with a tape player. Stubborn, she was!

Unknown said...

Peruby, thank you for dropping by The Trad Pad and your lovely comment. You have a beautiful blog and I am putting you into my feed so that I can visit you regularly. You appear to live in a beautiful part of the world. I am responding on this post because I am a book lover too - but, as a former librarian, I always keep mine weeded out. I wonder if your mother had had her best years in this time whether she would have had a literary blog or a food blog or some way of expressing all that she had taken in with books. I notice your love of animals and wonder if you have come across a site that leaves my daughter and I chortling called ICANHASCHEEZBURGER?