Sunday, June 24, 2007

Orange, orange, orange


Tiger lily in bloom

I love orange flowers. My favorite used to be the deep, red tulip. Not sure when I changed to orange. My infatuation with marigolds goes way back. I have planted more orange flowers around the house this week-end. And, my hydrangea is showing two tiny little blooms. And, blue is there albeit faintly. I think this means I can add more of that whatever stuff I bought. More blue, more blue! Just to let you know, the blue hydrangea isn't anywhere near the other orange flowers. Gads! Blue and orange, yuck!

I hate to change light bulbs. I get the ones that claim they burn 7 to 10 years. I am in the process of putting a 7 year burner in my kitchen fan overhead light. I have two outside lights that need replaced. I'm thinking of putting 10 year burners out there. The only problem with this type of practice is when that time does roll around to change the bulb, I can't recall how the contraption that houses the bulb unscrews. I figure it out, but since I don't do it often, it is a major undertaking. Here is an interesting story of the longest burning bulbs.

I have unexpected company this week-end. Family. It is only overnight and I wasn't bothered by it. They will be on their way today. My nephew rode his bike down. He came in freezing last night. Brrr. My sister (his Mom) followed about an hour or two later with her beau and a huge moving van. Seems they were cleaning out a storage shed. My daughter loves it when her cousin visits. He shows her all kinds of neat web sites. Like, this one. Then, they proceed to play all night on these sites, watching videos. I just watched "The Pale Blue Dot" narrated by Carl Sagan. I have mentioned that I am a huge fan of his (he has passed on.)

My nephew started out with an Atari computer back in the mid-80's and is now an Oracle database manager for a similar educational establishment like the one I work in. Only his is located near Columbus. He is a computer whiz. He probably got all of the genes in the family that came from this guy. (My Mom's first cousin who tragically passed away).

I went to see the movie 1408 yesterday. Now, I remember why I don't go to the movies any more. Why I wait for it to come out on DVD. The volume in the theater was deafening. I sat there and held my fingers in my ears for most of the movie. It didn't help that I had already been fighting an earache. I imagine the folks around me thought I was scared and blocked my ears. Okay, I admit. That WAS part of it. But, mostly it was the immediate pain that the loud sound brought with it. Trying to block it out. Sheesh! I was spared a migraine. Hallelujah!

No comments: