Saturday, June 09, 2007

After the rain


I took a walk after the rain last evening. We had quite a storm north of us, we managed to get a soaking, some winds and that was it. You know how everything smells so clean and fresh after the rain. I read somewhere that the rain washes the air. Gets the impurities out of it and leaves it clean and fresh. I never thought of air that way. Since I couldn't see it, I didn't think it needed washed. Of course I have used the expression dirty air and clean air, but never thought that what I couldn't really touch needed washed. But that is a lovely way to put it and it sure fits when I smell how clean and fresh it is after the rain.

My dog did not co-operate very well on her leash. I was a bit nonplussed. I couldn't figure out why. Now, she didn't take off and she came to me each time I let her off the leash to do a bit of roaming, but she wasn't as loyal as she normally is. I guess she is subject to her funny moods as well as the rest of us.

I found some lovely aromatic flowers in my neighborhood. More types of flowering trees than just the flowers themselves. One I am keenly interested in was what I would guess to be a magnolia bush of some sort. It wasn't a tree. It wasn't over five feet tall and it bushed out from the bottom. It smelled heavenly and had beautiful yellowish magnolia flowers on it. My research tells me that it may be a "sweetbay magnolia" (magnolia virginiana). Now, I need to order one and get it in the ground.

The photo above is some sort of twisted vine that is growing in my neighbors border hedges. They held the raindrops well and gave me ample opportunity to practice my macro shots. I have been toying with the idea of purchasing a new camera. Mine is scratched up and worn a bit. It still works well, but I want another to supplement what I like to do. My nephew purchased a Canon SLR (I think it was the 30D). I never was one to copy, I am looking at the Nikon SLR line. I have been very happy with my Canon (except for the delay between pressing the shutter and the actual taking of the picture - infuriates me!). I want to branch out and experiment more. Money is the main obstacle at this time, so I will begin saving for my treat.

Summer looms ahead. I know it has a tendency to go very quickly. I have a party tonight (my delayed birthday get together with wonderful friends). My 4th of July bang is approaching quickly and other than catching up with a few friends we have no travelling plans. I have a dinner on Monday evening and I plan to go early and capture a part of a lake I don't get to photograph often.

I did catch Night at the Museum. A forgettable flick scantily reminiscent of Jumanji. Although it was very nice to see Dick Van Dyke and Mickey Rooney. Bill Cobbs has been a favorite of mine, also. I want to see Wild Hogs, but other than that - not much movie watching is planned.

Edit: And if you read my post on Wednesday (The good, the bad and the ugly) there was an accident at the construction area of route 93. I felt that it was a dangerous setup. That road is so twisty and so busy it just felt like something was going to happen there. You know the saying "An accident waiting to happen." That was how it felt when I drove it.

2 comments:

Tabor said...

Go ahead and copy your nephew if that is the camera you want. Purchasing the same technology is not being a copycat...just being smart.

Both brand have good lenses and to me that is the primary issue.

Shephard said...

Beautiful photo. And I love the one of light through the trees above.

I saw NATM too... it was light fare. So is Wild Hogs. About the same quality. Fun and light.
~S :)