Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Spring Break

spring_break

Knowing what we know today about the dangers of sun exposure, would you go to Florida for a week and bask in the sun? Every year? For fifteen years? Just to jump-start your tan for the summer, then to continue in the tanning salons until it is warm enough to where you can absorb the sun's damaging rays outside. What are the odds that you would get melanoma?

We can sue the tobacco companies when we get lung cancer or emphysema. What can you do if you get skin cancer? Sue the beaches of Florida? How about the state? All that advertising made it look so safe and so fun!

I am thankful for some of the celebrites who are not sporting dark tans. Remember Cher in the 70's? She was the image! And, Farrah Fawcett's tan. Today we can look at Cate Blanchett, Gwyneth Paltrow, Nicole Kidman, and Julianne Moore to know that maybe, just maybe the message is getting through.

It doesn't help in rural Ohio, when so many of the teenage girls are running off to the tanning salons to prepare for the prom. Off the shoulder dresses and spaghetti straps. Don't dare be caught with milky white skin.

And, what do we say to the sun worshippers when they return from a week in Florda?

"You look good!"

They smile and twirl. "Yes, but I still need to go to the tanning booth. I am not near ready for summer."

Coming from the speakers: Here Comes the Sun by The Beatles

2 comments:

Tabor said...

I don't think they have all the data on the causes of skin cancer, but my understanding is the risk is much greater if you have had several severe burns in your youth. It is not so much sun tanning as it is sunburning. (Which unfortunately I have had several!) you can still enjoy the sun...just keep your time more limited. I actually think getting a slow gradual tan is not a bad thing---but then I am not an oncologist or dermatoligist.

Peruby said...

Yippee! I can post a comment. It isn't from lack of trying.

I have had a few sunburns, then in my twenties and thirties barely no sun at all. And, I lived in Virginia Beach for over three years. Shunned the sun because it gave me sick headaches.

For three years I have gone to tanning salon to tan my legs. So I can wear shorts in the summer. I can tan arms, face etc, but never the legs.