
Walking outside today and looking for signs of Spring. My dogwood will bloom in about two months, give or take a week. I did not touch the sky with any software program. This is straight from my Canon S50. I did add the frame. Blue on blue.
Man, I had a hard time getting this picture to post. I may not be patient but I am persistent. I used to add to the old saying 'patience is a virtue' with my version:
'patience is a virtue and I have neither'.
I baked two loaves of banana bread today. One with walnuts and one without. The one without didn't bake all the way through. That's my daughter's. She will just have to eat around the goo. I put both loafs in at the same time. Mental note to myself: glass loaf pan needs another five.
I watched 'The Hours' with Kidman, Streep and Moore. Powerful, but really didn't interest me. I guess the message was how stifled homosexuality was for women of the past. How they would rather die than live in the closet. And, today how much easier it is for gay women to live a normal life among society, but still they are touched with the sadness of loved ones dealing with death (aids). I honestly don't know any women homosexuals. I'm not even sure I know any males.
Can you believe that? I'll be forty-five in May. I suspect some men are, but they don't say they are or live like they are. When I was seventeen I worked for a lady veterinarian. There were rumors that she and her assistant were gay. They lived together. I didn't care. She was very mean to me. I didn't like her, but not because she was gay. And, not because she was very, very German. At that time, I thought my ancestors came from Germany, too. It was soon after that I found out it was actually Austria.
My daughter and niece say that the school is full of them. They are everywhere, they say. Holding hands, kissing on the sidewalks after school and before. Hmmm. I don't see any blacks or Orientals or Hispanics, either. But, they are there. They are all over. Have I reached the pinnacle of not seeing people as different? But, rather as just what they are - people? All peoples blended together. Is it possible that I am completely unbiased? Is any one completely unbiased about everything?
Have you ever told a joke that would be considered prejudiced? Do 'dumb blonde' jokes bother you? Long ago, there were many incorrect jokes flying around. My sister has been married to her husband longer than she lived inside my family unit. She, I think, is more or less brainwashed from her husband's version of life. She married him at twenty-one and has been married to him for thirty years. I think she dated him for two years, so she has been exposed to his outlook for thirty-two years. And back in that day, thirty years ago - people did say off-color jokes. Remember Archie Bunker on 'All in the Family'? That is where I learned the expression 'jungle bunny'.
Coming from the speakers: Me and you and a dog named Boo.
3 comments:
I had to ask my husband what "Jungle Bunny" meant. And that's weird, I live in about a 50% or more black area. The worst prejudice I see having worked in 95% black schools and areas in the past is- blacks against other blacks. I have literally seen people beat up because their skin was darker. The light-skin/ dark-skin controversy. The light-skinned girls got ALL the boys. It didn't matter even if they were fat or anything! All that is needed in the black community is light skin and you have it made. If you have dark skin, you better have "nice features" or "good hair" or at least as a woman you're going to have a hard time. For men all that matters is SKILLS and $$$. Looks matter but the skin color isn't as important as it is for women. The "paper bag test" and "don't bring home anyone darker than yourself" mentality is alive and well in the black community. I am one of the few caucasians to notice but only because I know and live among so many blacks on a daily basis. it's funny because here a lot of blacks marry whites and whites don't care what shade the black person's skin really is.
I'm the whitest of the white and I remember in school trying in vain to tan. I tried and tried. White people get skin cancer trying to be darker.
WHat is up with the human race!!!!!
I rented The Hours too once; I about fell asleep. What are the chances EVERYONE is going to be gay?! The theme wasn't even supposed to be about being gay. The agenda overshadowed the other messages.
When I was young, I didn't "get" All in the Family. I realize now that Carroll O'Conner (Archie Bunker) placed himself in that position so that he could expose bigots. I 'get' it now.
I don't think they could get away with that show today.
Post a Comment