First of all let me load up on the good stuff. The nice words. The performance of "The Lion King" was stellar. The players were spot on and brilliant. I cannot say enough about them. Every move, every note, every word was perfect. And then some. The humor was great. Except I never laughed. Not once.
The beauty of the theatre was beyond compare. This building had age and grace on its side and every detail was exquisite. The chandelier was one of the most beautiful I have ever seen.
The ugly. I was miserable. I could not wait until the show was over. I have never been in such an uncomfortable theatre in my life.
There is NO leg room. I even had an aisle seat. I was able to stretch one leg out onto the side stairs. Others around me were just as uncomfortable. They said so. They squirmed. It got to the point where I was praying for the intermission. As it were, they timed the intermission at 3/4 the way through the performance and when we returned it was zip, zip and the show was over. The feeling in my left leg was not pain. It was so uncomfortable that I could not bear it. But it really wasn't pain.
And it was hot. The sweat was rolling down my back and my neck. There was plenty of air out in the lobby, but none in the theatre.
Since I purchased my daughters' ticket on line they sent an e-mail and asked about my experience. I told them. I told them it was the most uncomfortable show I have ever set through. I could not wait for the performance to end.
I will never recommend or return to the State Theatre in Playhouse Square in Cleveland Ohio again unless they revamp their air conditioning and rip out the seats and add more leg room.
One family member said "But what if they are upset at your review and send you free tickets to a future performance?" I said "That's easy. I'll give them away." And hey - I won't hold my breath. I lay odds I don't even get a response back.

1 comment:
As I get older I tolerate uncomfortable seats less and less. I find myself taking a pillow to sit on to one old theater with broken down seats. I can literally feel the frame of the seat jamming up my tailbone. When I walk into a place I look for the most comfy seat. It just isn't worth it to be miserable, even while watching something enjoyable.
Post a Comment