Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Cruise

I have one brother who prefers to vacation via cruise ship. I have not been on one, yet. I have had a couple of opportunities to go, but have not, yet. We wanted to get as many family members as possible, but nobody ever has the money to go at the same time as a deposit is required many months in advance.

This cruise ship was in the harbor when my nephew and I slipped down to Mallory Square to capture photos of the infamous sunset. As we waited for the sun to set a young lady ran up to the huge ship and the crowd cheered. Seems as though the entire cruise ship was waiting for her. From a distance I could see that she had long flowing blond hair. Had on a black short outfit and was drinking a fountain drink. I wondered what had held her up for an hour. That was how long between the ship sending out it's long wail to call passengers and the actual time she arrived. They had to completely re-open the doors and put the walkway down especially for her.

It was the folks on land that cheered. Not the passengers on the ship.

But, oh what a sunset. My nephew was upset at all the sailboats and other vessels that blocked the view, but I rather thought their silhouette against the backdrop of the setting sun added more character to my pictures. By the time the sun set my camera battery was depleted (as we had been out walking for seven hours straight by then) and I had to use my cell phone. I was so worried I was going to drop it in the water. I had used up all the camera battery power at the Butterfly conservatory. My group of family kept laughing at me because I kept mistakenly saying the Butter conservatory. I came back with the obligatory coffee cup (my souvenir of choice). And a tote. Of course a tote to carry all the other souvenirs I purchased for other folks.

I washed all my totes when I came home. I really need to spread them out and get a picture of all of them. The cats love them so I have to hide them so they do not sleep on them and get their cat hair all over them. Most of my totes are black. The one I purchased in Key West is a clam shell white.

Do you have a certain item that you pick up each time you vacation? My brother-in-law collects shot glasses, so I picked up one for him. He does not even drink. LOL! I picked up tee-shirts for all the grand nephews. A couple of magnets for sisters. A hat for my brother. I also grabbed a new key ring for myself. We ate at the Hard Rock cafe but their souvenir selection was quite lacking.


6 comments:

Tabor said...

I no longer collect dustables/washables from trips. I might get the odd turtle, but usually all I come back with are photos. Looking forward to yours!

kden said...

Fun post. We always get the obligatory coffee cup too. My daughter collects shot glasses, started when she was young because they were cheap and small enough to stuff in a suitcase. She now has about 80 I think and people pick them up for her in their travels. My husband picks up the rocks, shells, and driftwood. And we all usually get a tshirt. Nothing too extravagant but just enough to remember the trip by.

Grumpy said...

Cruise ship=rampant viruses, running aground, death at sea.

Anonymous said...

I don't get on boats that go out beyond where I can't see land. In fact, I don't go anywhere I can't drive. I don't buy collectibles for anyone. We have enough clutter in our lives without me hauling in more. Hope you had a good time.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dog Hair in my Coffee said...

All of the above? LOL I usually buy a coffee mug, a sweatshirt, sometimes a tshirt too, sometimes a key ring, and a cool tote bag if I can find one. I am seriously TOTE BAG addicted. I do try to refrain from coffee mugs and key chains at THIS point in my life, and I've really even overdone it on sweat/T shirts, but have decided the tote bags I just keep rotating, so I always have a "new" one when I get tired of whatever one I am currently using. I plan on coming back with SOCKS from AK next month.