Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Where did they go?


I have had a mystery that has puzzled me for years. Where do people go if you have missed their call and you try to call them back within seconds? Do they throw the phone over the hill in anger because nobody answered? Do they drop the phone and run like hell? Where do they go?

It happened the other day to me. I was driving and my cell phone rang. I glanced to see it was a very good friend calling. I wanted to tell her I would call her later in the week when I had time to chat.

I drove another 100 feet and pulled the car over. I dialed her number - no answer. Where did she go in 30 to 50 seconds? Did she scream and throw the phone out the window? What?

I don't get it. I have not remembered to call her back since. Now it is past 9:00 and I don't want to call in case she is in bed.

I understand that some phones do not return a busy signal. My work phone doesn't. To the caller it just rings and rings and rings. Work phone. Go figure. No answering machine picks up either. I just tell my co-workers if it just rings and rings, I am probably on the line talking to somebody else. If I am away from my desk and I don't answer the phone, the machine will pick up fine. When I am not actually on the phone.

Wait. Maybe the callers are messing with me. Laughing at the ringing telephone at the other end. "Don't answer my call, will you?! See how it feels?!" Creepy.

3 comments:

Cheyenne said...

I have often wondered about that myself...and never came up with a good answer.

Tabor said...

I think they are making their calls and that is why you cannot get through. Or they just headed out the door and their phone is buried in the bottom of their bag.

Grumpy said...

Wow, this is more common than I thought. Happens to me all the time. Where do they go?