General shortcut
Do you know what to do if a shortcut on your desktop is broken? What I mean is, if you double-click the shortcut and you get a message similar to "can't find...path has moved..." something along those lines.
I had an episode yesterday where the network guy at a school called me to say that the school Treasurer was not able to access the "name of the software that enables her to work with the state database".
I worked with him to troubleshoot over the phone and all it was- was a broken shortcut.
I talked him through the steps of how to go to Start, All Programs, Name of the Software, and begin the program that way.
I also walked him through how to right-mouse-click on the Name of the Software from the menu and send a shortcut to the desktop. (After deleting the broken one).
I was just a little bit perplexed that the guy they have hired to work on their school district network was not aware that this is what needed to be done if a shortcut did not work. A regular end user, I can understand. But the tech guy?!
Above are the steps I would take to put the Solitaire game shortcut onto my desktop. The Games menu with Hearts, Internet Backgammon, etc... is where I used the right-mouse-click option once I hovered over Solitaire to get the Options menu. Then back to the left mouse button when I hovered the mouse over "Send To" option. It gets a little tricky for new users to try and figure out when to use the right mouse button and when to use the left mouse button. And sorry, but the directions here are for XP only. Not Vista or Windows 7.
You can usually tell it is a shortcut because it has the little white square with the black curved arrow in it. Although, there are exceptions. I once had a little program I found that actually removes that white box with the black arrow. What kind of TIME did I have on my hands back then?!
And, hell! I didn't even KNOW there was such a thing as Internet Checkers!



1 comment:
Yup...I recently did that with Spider Solitaire, a game I am addicted to.
Post a Comment