Wednesday, March 11, 2009

I'm not a real doctor, but I play one on TV


Driving out of the lodge park last week

I have a new addiction. It isn't serious. Not yet, anyway. For some odd reason I got hooked on TCMs this past week-end. I watched one titled Dr. Kildare's Wedding Day. It was interesting. I wonder if the writers or actors of House have ever watched the Kildare movies. The grumpy doctor played by Lionel Barrymore is wheelchair bound and has an almost House/Cuddy relationship with his head nurse. Dr. Kildare is the nice one (like Wilson, I suppose). This movie also had Red Skelton in it. His comedy was what I remembered from his TV shows. Almost painful to watch (the luggage in the telephone booth scene).

Though I catch the movies on Turner Classic Movies, I do remember watching Dr. Kildare with the dashing Richard Chamberlain and the Red Skelton show in the 60's. I just thought it was funny that the movie was so similar to the TV show House.

Other movies I caught on TCM were Johnny Eager and The Edge of the World.

2 comments:

Tabor said...

Do you remember Ben Casey? That show was like the house character but without the wit.

Peruby said...

I don't remember the show but I remember the handsome doctor. Whew.