Thursday, July 17, 2008

Little Horse

A couple of blocks away from our house is a field where horses are boarded. I have not see more than three in there at a time. There are three in there now, and some goats in the barn. I can hear them. They want me to come and free them. Or feed them. I am not sure which.

This little fella came up to the fence. When he discovered I had a camera in my hand instead of a carrot or a nice juicy apple he wandered off. Back to the grass. He had some friends up in the left corner of the fenced in area. Deer were playing up there. Too far for my small point and shoot to grasp a decent picture.

Today I travelled south a little for work. At lunch I ran into a group of rowdy, young tanned folks. They were all wearing colorful beads (ala Mardi Gras style) and bandannas and hats. I asked them where they were from or where they were headed. Jamboree in the Hills!

Ugh. I have a story about that. 28 years ago. I was there. With pictures like this, this, this and this, you will want to stay away. Far away. "Let's check each other for ticks" must be the words in a country song. Red necks, white socks and blue ribbon beer.

1980. I worked in an office in an automotive/hardware store. My sister and her husband decided to go to JItH. I was not used to the hot sun. I was inside air conditioning 6 days a week. The 7th day I usually went shopping with my Mom in a cool mall somewhere.

My sister worked at Sweet Williams. My brother decided to come along. A friend of my sister's husband decided to come along. My brother, sister's husband and friend rode motorcycles. We would meet them at the mall near JitH. I would pick my sister up at Sweet Williams after she got off work on a Saturday night. We would drive down, spend the night along the road and go to JitH on Sunday. I was 20. I could sleep in a sleeping bag along the road.

I went to pick my sister up. What a surprise. She was bringing a boyfriend. This ought to be interesting. Oh, boy. After two hours we finally met up with the rest of our party. My sister and her boyfriend drank all the way down. What I didn't know is that they both took a queaaude. Real nice.

Well, my brother-in-law was mad as a wet hornet. He took off on his bike with his friend following close behind. We didn't see them until later the next day. My brother-in-law is a REAL red neck. He had native American blood and his neck would turn beet red when he got angry.

After very little sleep, my brother, my sister, her stupid boyfriend and I checked into JitH. Boy was it hot. I was not even close to being exposed to the sun that summer. I was broiling. I couldn't even drink beer because I was so miserable. I thought I was going to die.

It got worse. My brother had enough. He left for home on his bike. I was stuck with 2 coolers of beer and my sister's stupid boyfriend. Everybody else had abandoned me. My sister took off and ended up going home with some other boyfriend she knew. My brother-in-law ended up in jail because he got drunk (wouldn't you?) and hit a security guard.

I got her stupid boyfriend back to the mall and vowed that I would NEVER, EVER go to JitH's again. It is a vow I have kept.

1 comment:

Tabor said...

Never been interested in attending one of these bashes where large groups of people get loud and drunk. If I am going out into the country I want it to be calm and peaceful. It was a good lesson learned and fortunately no one was seriously hurt.