Thursday, May 24, 2007

Ants on my peonies

After my daughter's ultra sound we had breakfast at Denny's. She came home and went back to bed. I grabbed my camera because I had a poppy blooming and I tried many different shots of the ants crawling all over my peonies.

I blurred most of the shots, but about 30 came out relatively clear and four came out very clear with an ant or two to show for my trouble.

Then I went to work and played with Cisco's Security Device Manager. I am aware that this feature set came out a couple of years ago, but my schools have not had enough monies to purchase new equipment and when some finally did, I got to play.

For a few years, my home office did all the router configs and just handed the equipment off to the satellite workers. "Mount it on the rack and plug it in," they said. Except for a tweak here and there we did not have much configuration to do. My skills dwindled away. A sot off the street could have done the job.

Now, that I have four new routers and time to play I am learning again and am happy. It is hard to want to learn and do the valuable stuff, but you don't get the opportunity. If my home office is aware of how to use SDM, they haven't said anything. I called my co-worker in the other satellite office and showed him the feature. He liked it, too.

I am usually pretty good at documentation. Most of the instructions that I type up are for the school technology personnel and I post it on my work web page. No passwords are needed for this access. Router configuration and access needs to be kept in house and we do have a knowledge base located on our helpdesk to post instructions and other informational data but I do not have the privileges to post anything. So, I'll type up the step by step instructions and keep them to myself.

I had some folks chuckling today. I bought new garden gloves and when I mowed last evening the new blue dye faded onto my wrists. I saw it in the shower and washed most of it off. It left two blue/green lines across each wrist. I looked like I had handcuff bruises! I'll scrub harder tonight! LOL!

5 comments:

DearestDragonfly said...

Oh! My soul is refreshed by the mere mention -- and the wondrous photos -- of peonies.

Miracles waiting to burst open.

DearestDragonfly said...

P.S. - You could sell this photo (I would buy it).

Cheyenne said...

I love peonies, but God I hate those ants. The first time I ever cut some for a bouquet I couldn't understand where the darn ants were coming from, and since then I make sure there aren't any on the flowers.

Tabor said...

The ants are good for the peonies...I think they help them bloom.

Have you ever talked to you colleagues about setting up a wiki or a "listserv" so that you could compare notes?

Peruby said...

ddfly - thanks for the compliment on the photo. Feel free to download the pic.

Cheyenne - Yes, the ants can be quite pesky. I don't mind them, except when they come into my house.

Tabor - I love the idea of a wiki. You gave me a wonderful idea for a summer project!