Tuesday, February 13, 2007

A spot of snow


A little grazer

Another deer grazing at Salt Fork. We have some snow for ourselves outside today. Enough to give us another snow day. It was the ice that had most of the folks worried, I am thinking. The second time I was out shovelling the sidewalk the ice pellets were stinging my face. Ouch. Okay, let's just make it a little more unbearable. Never mind the fact that this is back breaking work out here, shovelling this stuff. Let's just add insult to injury and pelt the lady in the face with ice chips.

My daughter had frost nip on her hands from the first round of shovelling and I have a saint of a neighbor that lives up the hill who came with his snow blower and cleared my drive way. Never mind the fact that it is all covered again. His intentions were well appreciated. I thanked him and plan to take him a cheese ball/tray later. I don't know his name.

I had my daughter put her hands in warm tepid water. She never was in any real pain, but her fingers must have been exposed at one time before to get this way so quickly. The teenagers today will wear little in outer clothing. They are so accustomed to being driven right to the door step of any establishment or friend's house, they rarely have to dress for the weather. So, I am thinking at one time, she must have been caught outside in the freezing weather with no gloves.

It was drilled into our heads from the day we brought our newborn into this world that some mad deranged pedophile was waiting around every corner to steal our child and if we even thought for one second about letting them walk somewhere without our supervision that we would live that nightmarish hell that we only read about or saw on television.

So, are we so wrong? Where do we draw the line? Where do we take the chance? "Listen, kid. I walked two miles to the park when I was fifteen to go to a dance, I am sure you can do it!" We move into the kitchen and begin washing dishes and the thoughts come rushing into our brains. What if, what if, what if? The next thing you know we are getting our car keys and saying "Come on, I'll drive you."

So, there you are. Raised in America. Protected to the nth degree by your neurotic Mother. Our young are as fragile as the small deer pictured above. Vulnerable, a literal target. Are we preparing them enough for the big bad world? Are we over protecting them? Are we smothering them and do we know when to loosen the reins?

1 comment:

Shephard said...

Oh, what a great shot of the snow and deer!

Peruby,
question for you...
would you happen to know what might be missing from my Photoblog template at the top. If you go there, you can see the blogger tray cutting off the top of my banner. Yet it doesn't do this on my main blog. Knowing you're computer inclined, I thought I'd ask you. :)

~S