
Neon glow of a tree shadow on the snow
I messed around with this one until I embarked upon a picture that I liked. This reminds me of the times we used to take our big coffee can of crayola crayons and color a square on paper, each time using a different color crayon over top of the previous color square. When we were done with the colors, we would take black and darkly cover the entire square. Using the sharp point of a pair of scissors, we would scratch names, words or drawings into the black square causing the underside bright neon colors to appear. It was great fun! A bit messy, though.
Another favorite time was taking the old crayons and an old glass pop bottle. We would tilt the bottle up against something solid or just sit it up straight. Lighting a candle we would hold a colorful crayon up to the flame causing the colored wax to melt onto the bottle. We would cover the entire pop bottle with this drippy color wax. It helped to put newspaper underneath the bottle because this also got messy. My Mom never cared that we young teens were holding lit candles. Crayons were cheap and abundant back then. We had so many. I can still smell the odor of old, waxy crayons in that can.
Hey, did you ever play the joke of where you call people and ask them if they have Prince Albert in a can? Or, pop in a bottle? Or, is your refrigerator running? With caller i.d., I guess the little innocent prank calls are a thing of the past. That was about as ornery as I got. That and throwing field corn at cars on Halloween. Not smart, I know. My older brothers and sisters would take me with them to throw it. First we had to go to somebody's field and steal the field corn. Wha...? Yep. Cringe. I stole field corn with my older brother. We got blisters on our thumbs getting the hard kernels off the cob. I tried to use an old cob, but it was just better to use our thumbs. I remember one of my school friends had a corn sheller. It was a machine that removed the kernels. I remember thinking, "Where was this machine a few years ago?" We never threw tomatoes, eggs or snowballs at cars. We never soaped windows. Just a handful of field corn at a passing car. They never even slowed down. We were fortunate that nothing dangerous happened.
Another favorite time was taking the old crayons and an old glass pop bottle. We would tilt the bottle up against something solid or just sit it up straight. Lighting a candle we would hold a colorful crayon up to the flame causing the colored wax to melt onto the bottle. We would cover the entire pop bottle with this drippy color wax. It helped to put newspaper underneath the bottle because this also got messy. My Mom never cared that we young teens were holding lit candles. Crayons were cheap and abundant back then. We had so many. I can still smell the odor of old, waxy crayons in that can.
Hey, did you ever play the joke of where you call people and ask them if they have Prince Albert in a can? Or, pop in a bottle? Or, is your refrigerator running? With caller i.d., I guess the little innocent prank calls are a thing of the past. That was about as ornery as I got. That and throwing field corn at cars on Halloween. Not smart, I know. My older brothers and sisters would take me with them to throw it. First we had to go to somebody's field and steal the field corn. Wha...? Yep. Cringe. I stole field corn with my older brother. We got blisters on our thumbs getting the hard kernels off the cob. I tried to use an old cob, but it was just better to use our thumbs. I remember one of my school friends had a corn sheller. It was a machine that removed the kernels. I remember thinking, "Where was this machine a few years ago?" We never threw tomatoes, eggs or snowballs at cars. We never soaped windows. Just a handful of field corn at a passing car. They never even slowed down. We were fortunate that nothing dangerous happened.
3 comments:
we used to do the refrigerator running and the prince albert in a can stuff. We also played " ring and run." where you would (in the summer of course) go up to someone's door, ring the bell or knowck and run and hide. Why that was so hilarious I will never know! The best was when one of the dads caught on that it was us. He waited in an upstairs window, open, screen too, with a bucket of water. He doused us pretty good!
Yes, this blog does bring back the memories. For me it was pumpkins---not corn.
Tabor
I love color too. Especially in this vacinity of the spectrum.
~S :)
Post a Comment