Wednesday, November 15, 2006

A morning in June


The sun peeking through the pine

This photo of the morning sun was taken last June. It is the east side neighbors' yard. One is a big pine tree. My dog always is interested in what is underneath that pine. It has low branches and hides little critters well, I suppose.

We are getting a cold, steely rain here today. It makes it so that you don't want to do much of anything but cozy up under a warm blanket and drink some nice hot cocoa/hot chocolate/tea. I usually don't watch television at night unless it is something really light such as Seinfeld. Which is what I caught this evening and then the channel went straight into a show called Bones. I have never even heard of it before. I watched the hour episode, caught up in it. I hear the folks at work talk about certain shows such as Grey's Anatomy. I am such a dolt, I thought that Grey was a man. As I look at IMDB, I can see that it is a female and her name is Dr. Grey. Okay.

Speaking of co-workers, I was subject to an hour (no less) of church conversation. Between two Catholics and how their religion is so much more beautiful than others. I did not say one word. I normally don't tread into such dangerous waters. One co-worker has been trying a (non-Catholic) church that her Aunt was preaching at recently. She called them "Holy Rollers". Jumping up and singing and speaking in tongues and such. I've been known to speak in tongues. Yeah. When I am so mad, the words don't come out right - it resembles something like gibberish. Nobody can understand what I say. I did overhear (from yesterday's religion topic) about having a translator for somebody speaking in tongues. They have a translator? What is the qualification for that?

One of the cast members in Bones was lightly teasing another about his religion in the hour long show. I gather that she was an atheist and he was Catholic. She wanted to attend his church so that she could have a better perspective for her writing, I am thinking. I guess it was just a religious topic kind of day for me.

I went to Sunday school when I was young. My sister's took me along. (CUMC). When I was a young teen I joined the church choir. When I was fifteen I began working in a restaurant/bar. My Saturday nights consisted of 4:30 - 1:30 a.m. And, my Sundays began at 10:00 a.m. at the same kitchen. That kind of knocked the church going out of me. What do I recall about Sunday school? Memorizing Bible books so that I could win a prize of some sort. It must have been in my short term memory, because I can't get past the second book now. I can remember the books, just not in order any more.

Personally - I found that the people in the bar were more "real" to me than those in the church.

2 comments:

Tabor said...

To make you feel even more stupid...but not really...Gray's Anatomy also referes to a famous "Bible" on anatomy in the medical reference library of books. I think it was originally published in the mid 1800's and has been updated every since.

Peruby said...

ACK! I read up a bit on "GrAy's" in Wikipedia and it is referenced quite a bit in a lot of shows.

I like the reference in the Simpson's episode where the doctor exclaimed "The woman has swallowed a baby!"