
A November rose
About an hour after we started work, the superintendent came on the intercom and told us they could smell gas in the building and for us to go outside. I was just removing my battery from the wall socket and putting it into my camera bag. I grabbed my purse and the camera and out to the back alley I went. He didn't have to tell me twice.
I walked a ways before I found some life left in the season. I found a rose bush with about five blooms on it and they had dew on them and the sun was kissing them. I snapped away. I kept walking around the house to see if there was anyone at the door so I could ask permission. The bush was about two feet off of the alley, but I still didn't want to be rude. Nobody came to the door, so I left.
The smell was sewage backed up. This has been a recent problem in this section of town. I lived directly across the street from 1996 to 2001 and I never smelled any sewage. Of course once I moved to the other side of town, work decides to buy the building that is located about 400 feet from where I used to live. Of course!
2 comments:
I remember one fall when my roses just went crazy with salad plate size blooms just before Thanksgiving and also at the same time everyone was coming to stay for my daughter's wedding. Very cool time!
Sounds like a good omen!
Post a Comment