A strange sky to end a strange day
We had it all today. It started out sunny and bright. Turned cloudy and windy. Then it began to sprinkle. While driving to the store this morning, my daughter noticed hail. It turned into a drizzle, which in turn became spitting snow. I came home to more hail.
Later, the sun was out again and the wind picked up. Again. I heard a noise and looking outside I saw some of the fastest, hardest sleet I had seen in quite a while. The wind rolled in some more. I heard a loud bang and looked outside. My neighbor's grill had taken a tumble off their back porch. She was an elderly lady, so I went out to pick it up. The propane tank was twisted and when I went to assemble it back together I heard a hissing noise. I didn't want to mess with it any more. I set the grill upright and went over to my patio, trying to salvage my cornstalk displays. Whew, that wind was wicked. I was also walking through hail on the ground.
I fixed myself some hot chocolate and kept myself busy with chores. Later, when I went to let Sable out, I saw the sky. Above is the view over my western neighbor's back yard. Cluttered with electrical wires, I know, but I wasn't about to go anywhere to get a better view. That wind is still howling. The photo has not been altered in any way. A little more to the right the sky was a bright pink. I did get a shot of the full view, but it didn't look very dramatic.
I have company coming over this evening. We are going to watch the original version of King Kong. The house is cozy and warm. I have plenty of hot chocolate and coffee. I made meatballs and I have popcorn. What a night to stay inside!
I have company coming over this evening. We are going to watch the original version of King Kong. The house is cozy and warm. I have plenty of hot chocolate and coffee. I made meatballs and I have popcorn. What a night to stay inside!
I have no idea what day the little munchkins are coming around to trick-or-treat. I certainly hope it isn't tonight. Last night was uber-wicked. The rain was so hard and cold. Two missionaries for the Church of Latter Day Saints came to my door. I felt so awful for them. They were very kind. They looked drenched, cold and almost miserable. But, their spirits were up and we chatted a few seconds before they went on their way. They invited me to their church, but I told them "No Thanks." I have no problem with them or anyone else going door to door. It is easy. You just give them a firm no. If they persist, you say "No" again. If they become a problem, you shut the door. They will leave. I have had very few problems with this. I feel bad for people who do. I never, ever let them in the house. My cat, Precious ran outside while I was holding the door open to speak with them. After they left, I waited about one minute and then opened the door to call her. She shot into the house like she had been shot out of a cannon. I laughed at her. "Yeah, it is pretty nasty out there, isn't it?" I chided her.
I work in a satellite office for my job. Sixty miles away from the home office. I am often the last to know about parties or get togethers of any kind. This includes the office providing a flu shot.
My home office e-mailed me late Thursday afternoon to inform me that flu shots were available for us for free. They are giving them on Monday and had forgotten to notify me. Now, I get a little under the national average for mileage I can claim in gas mileage in my car for work. I had a co-worker that has no beef with putting this expense on his monthly gas report. I have a problem with it. I just don't feel right. I could take an old piece of equipment and store it into the garage there, and then officially claim the trip was "work-related." But, you know what? I am not going to do it. I think the tax payers are ripped off enough. I don't have to charge them thirty-some dollars so I can go and get a flu shot.
The home office could be gracious and schedule a meeting for that day. But, they didn't do it. Nope. As a side note, years ago, my manager used to schedule myself and a co-worker south of my office to drive in every Wednesday just to clean up the storage room. We both would drive one hour and a half one way to clean this room. And, get gas mileage for it. Is that strange? Maybe I am nit picking.
I am housed for free in an educational building that belongs to my home county. They also recently offered the flu shot to their employees for free and to employee family members for $15. This procedure was to run from 7 a.m. to 10 a.m. Friday morning. I found about it Friday as workers there spoke of it. At 9:50 a.m. I was called by the building secretary stating that they had forgotten to tell me, but that I could come and get the flu shot for $15. In other words, they waited until they saw there was enough provided for employees and their families before they invited me.
I am feeling like my health is subject to class. I was only contacted as an after-thought.
I got my own flu shot at the health clinic for $20 the day before any were offered to me. As far as I am concerned my co-workers and my employers can go straight to... uh-oh. Perhaps I should curb my typing, here.
Stay cozy and enjoy your extra hour - if you get one.
Griping...
I work in a satellite office for my job. Sixty miles away from the home office. I am often the last to know about parties or get togethers of any kind. This includes the office providing a flu shot.
My home office e-mailed me late Thursday afternoon to inform me that flu shots were available for us for free. They are giving them on Monday and had forgotten to notify me. Now, I get a little under the national average for mileage I can claim in gas mileage in my car for work. I had a co-worker that has no beef with putting this expense on his monthly gas report. I have a problem with it. I just don't feel right. I could take an old piece of equipment and store it into the garage there, and then officially claim the trip was "work-related." But, you know what? I am not going to do it. I think the tax payers are ripped off enough. I don't have to charge them thirty-some dollars so I can go and get a flu shot.
The home office could be gracious and schedule a meeting for that day. But, they didn't do it. Nope. As a side note, years ago, my manager used to schedule myself and a co-worker south of my office to drive in every Wednesday just to clean up the storage room. We both would drive one hour and a half one way to clean this room. And, get gas mileage for it. Is that strange? Maybe I am nit picking.
I am housed for free in an educational building that belongs to my home county. They also recently offered the flu shot to their employees for free and to employee family members for $15. This procedure was to run from 7 a.m. to 10 a.m. Friday morning. I found about it Friday as workers there spoke of it. At 9:50 a.m. I was called by the building secretary stating that they had forgotten to tell me, but that I could come and get the flu shot for $15. In other words, they waited until they saw there was enough provided for employees and their families before they invited me.
I am feeling like my health is subject to class. I was only contacted as an after-thought.
I got my own flu shot at the health clinic for $20 the day before any were offered to me. As far as I am concerned my co-workers and my employers can go straight to... uh-oh. Perhaps I should curb my typing, here.
To some, the gripe may sound petty. But, I have been working here for eleven years and it just isn't the flu shot. There are many "little things" that add up. I am jerked into reality when a new satellite employee begins working and they make a remark about how we are left out of things because of poor communication or the fact that nobody cares to think of us. Then I remember when I first started. I was stunned at the rudeness of "educated" people. I have worked on and off since 1975 and I have never, ever been treated worse than I have from the educated field of employees. I chalk it up to the fact that perhaps it is because I did not obtain a secondary education. I didn't "pay my dues" so to speak. Yes, I know where the door is. I am not saying it is enough to make me quit my job. It is just strange in the fact that you think they would have more of a sophistication to them. What a laugh. Note that mostly the rude people are the ones who have never worked anywhere else except this one job. Employees who have been around a few places, seem to meld into the office better.
Stay cozy and enjoy your extra hour - if you get one.
4 comments:
Interesting photo. :)
And don't forget the children who inherit a business as being very rude too. Especially saince their parents were not.
Is there any way you could volunteer to be 'satellite employee coordinator' which would include maybe a monthly face-to-face meeting with central administrators to go over administrative stuff and they also sending out regular emails (to you) when an issue affecting employees comes up and then you maintain the satellite employee mailing list and send out to them?
Cheyenne - yes. I worked for one of those. The son(s) ran it into the ground.
Tabor - Oh my gosh! You reminded me. They did do that once. But, they forgot to tell ME! It seems they made me the contact person for the satellite site, and I found out in an off-handed e-mail from another manager when she said "This was why we made you the 'contact' person." I answered "Okay. When did you or 'they' make me this and what is expected of me?"
I received nothing back from her, or my own manager. I sent a "registered U.S. postal letter" to 2 higher up managers and I got NUTTIN! My e-mails just get ignored, so I stopped.
However, since some management has changed hands, I may approach the subject again. Good idea!
Post a Comment