
The Pumpkin Patch
When I think of the month of October, I think of orange. Usually, I think of pumpkins, too. This was the farm where we purchased our cornstalks, tiny bales of straw and pumpkins.
Both my daughter and I suffered from sinus pain today. Eyes and headache. Not too bad, though. I was able to get some things accomplished that had been on my "to do" list for a long time. Hard to reach light bulbs that needed replaced. Caught up on my laundry pile. Things like that. Now, I am ready to take a look at the bills and paperwork to make sure I am on track in that area.
The going price for euthanizing a mouse is $27. Just in case you needed to know. I have not parted with the money, yet. I am hoping that nature chips in.
I did get a start on Christmas shopping yesterday. I usually never start before November, but each year I seem to be a wee bit more aware of how quickly that holiday comes around. When I was young it seemed to take forever to get here. Now, there just aren't enough week-ends to do everything. My daughter does not have a clue this year as to what she wants. Well, she did say she wanted the PS2 game Scarface. I promptly told her "No." Too violent. She watches her boyfriend play it and she plays it at his house. I told her if she didn't give me some ideas that I was going to get her Barbie dolls. Of course she wants clothes, but that is an issue of where Mom has learned to just hand over money and let them shop. I got tired of returning everything. It's like shopping twice in the Christmas mad rush. Yuck.
It was almost painful to watch the 1933 version of King Kong last night. When the big ape would move his head, it reminded me of the abominable snowman on Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer. There is something I told my daughter when she was little. When I was eight years old, I had to miss the television showing of Rudolph. It was traumatic! She laughed. I told her that we didn't have video tapes, or cable television back then. They showed Rudolph once a year and if you missed it you were out of luck. My oldest sister had her wedding shower that evening and I spent the evening looking at a dark and silent television in some neighbor's house.
When Rudolph rolls around now, nobody even cares. It will be showing again. If you didn't catch it on Friday, it will play on Tuesday evening. Or, just pop the video (dvd, now) into the player and watch it over and over again. But, not in 1968. A year is a long time to wait.
I did get a start on Christmas shopping yesterday. I usually never start before November, but each year I seem to be a wee bit more aware of how quickly that holiday comes around. When I was young it seemed to take forever to get here. Now, there just aren't enough week-ends to do everything. My daughter does not have a clue this year as to what she wants. Well, she did say she wanted the PS2 game Scarface. I promptly told her "No." Too violent. She watches her boyfriend play it and she plays it at his house. I told her if she didn't give me some ideas that I was going to get her Barbie dolls. Of course she wants clothes, but that is an issue of where Mom has learned to just hand over money and let them shop. I got tired of returning everything. It's like shopping twice in the Christmas mad rush. Yuck.
It was almost painful to watch the 1933 version of King Kong last night. When the big ape would move his head, it reminded me of the abominable snowman on Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer. There is something I told my daughter when she was little. When I was eight years old, I had to miss the television showing of Rudolph. It was traumatic! She laughed. I told her that we didn't have video tapes, or cable television back then. They showed Rudolph once a year and if you missed it you were out of luck. My oldest sister had her wedding shower that evening and I spent the evening looking at a dark and silent television in some neighbor's house.
When Rudolph rolls around now, nobody even cares. It will be showing again. If you didn't catch it on Friday, it will play on Tuesday evening. Or, just pop the video (dvd, now) into the player and watch it over and over again. But, not in 1968. A year is a long time to wait.
No comments:
Post a Comment