I want to see Wicked on stage this summer. I don't know if I want to drive up myself or take a bus tour. I have family that knows Cleveland well and if I can get them to go along, and drive, we will go that route. If not, it is the bus for me, 'cause I don't like driving in Cleveland. I don't mind if I don't have to be somewhere at a certain time, but if I am pressed for time, you can bet I will get on the wrong road headed the wrong way.And, wouldn't you know when I finally like the character that Tom Cruise plays, he gets nominated for the Razzie's worst actor award. Figures. I never agreed with the "critics" anyway. I will agree with a Razzie for Jennifer Lopez in Monster-in-Law. I am hoping that Burt Reynolds gets worst supporting actor in the Razzies and I hope that Will Ferrell gets it for worst actor for Bewitched.
As I was driving to work this morning, I was blinded by the sun. Of course the song Blinded By the Light starts to run through my head. I have always wondered about the words to that song. I believe that it is drug-related, but the lyrics just didn't seem to make much sense to me. So on my lunch break, I took the time to look them up. I discovered that the song was written by none other than Bruce Springsteen. I also see that he has never had a number one hit. (Blinded did go to number one when Manfred Mann's Earth band released it in the mid 70's).
As I was driving to work this morning, I was blinded by the sun. Of course the song Blinded By the Light starts to run through my head. I have always wondered about the words to that song. I believe that it is drug-related, but the lyrics just didn't seem to make much sense to me. So on my lunch break, I took the time to look them up. I discovered that the song was written by none other than Bruce Springsteen. I also see that he has never had a number one hit. (Blinded did go to number one when Manfred Mann's Earth band released it in the mid 70's).
Bruce really racked up some rhymin' words in his version that just boggles the mind. Such as "brimstone baritone, anti-cyclone rolling stone preacher from the east." Bruce's version has more to it than Manfred Mann's release. But, Bruce's version gets ugly. So now when I hear the song on the radio, I can sing along and get the words right, but I will probably change the station because of what I discovered after looking up some of the phrases in urbandictionary.com. (This site is pretty good if you hear of a phrase or word that you don't know the slang meaning of). The closest I can come to "anti-cyclone" is the preacher would be against (anti) the fender cyclone guitar that musicians play.
That was the way it was for me when MTV and other video channels came out. I would like a song until I saw who sang it. Then it was like that was all I could think of each time I heard the song was how ugly or straggly the singer (group) looked. Sometimes you are just better off not knowing.
But if you want to really laugh your head off (I did) then go to this site to see if other people hear the words to the songs (incorrectly) the same as you do.
But if you want to really laugh your head off (I did) then go to this site to see if other people hear the words to the songs (incorrectly) the same as you do.
Oh, and just to let ya know. The words to Blinded are "revved up like a deuce" as in the "Little Deuce Coupe" that The Beach Boys sing. Whew. I'm glad I finally got that cleared up after all these years!
2 comments:
you know, I always thought that the "Deuce" part was related to a poker game, and couldn't figure out how in the world it fit into the song. Bruce Springsteen, John Mellencamp and a couple of others who are famous in their own rights, wrote many a song for others, just to eat. I never liked "Blinded," but oh well!
I had a friend that used to sing BTO's "Takin' Care of Business," and he thought the words were "Takin' Care of Finster," as in the baby in the Bugs Bunny cartoons! That one is a good one. We laughed and laughed over that one.
Miki, there are some good ones on that site about BTO's song. Others heard:
Takin' care of biscuits
Takin' care of Christmas
and
Takin' care of pigeons
So, there you have it.
Post a Comment