Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Get out, get air, get shots












I took Laura's advice today and went outside after work and took some pictures. I was trying to beat the sunset. I never did see the sun, but I did get some shots of a streetlight. War of the World's style. I always thought the creatures in the original version looked like street lights.


I got one shot of this horse before he became spooked by the click of my camera and ran away. Taking the miniature ponies with him.

*******************************************

I didn't study economics in school, but the next few sentences just astound me.

"If someone has a $1,000 balance and pays $15 a month, it would take 17 years and cost about $3,000 in principal and interest, he said. Paying $20 a month would take seven years and cost $1,750 in interest. "

"The average household carries about $9,000 in debt, excluding mortgages."

I guess I am not average.

"There's no shame in getting into trouble like this. We've all done it."

No, we haven't.

In the late 80's I was doing my bills one day and became discouraged thinking that for the rest of my life I will have credit card debt. That was just the way it was. I was wrong. I just needed to get out of a dead-end relationship.

5 comments:

Miki said...

We aren't average either, we carry the mortgage and that is it. We aren't worth much, but we aren't swimming in debt either! I am gald you got outside after work, with the mild weather the NE has been having, it is worth it.

portuguesa nova said...

Credit cards are so very evil.

And the huge rise of those janky check cashing/cash advance places and bunk debt-consolidation services is also very very scary.

Cheyenne said...

We can thank the good Lord we are, at the moment, debt free. No mortgage (it was paid off a few years ago), no car payments, and credit cards are paid off every month. It's a good feeling. But, as we all know, that can change in a heartbeat too. So I shall relish in it for now.

Peruby said...

Miki, POrtuguesa Nova and Cheyenne,

Perhaps Bloggers are thrifty in an intelligent way. I shudder when I see people walk into those cash advance places. Heck, I won't even put my loose change in one of those coin counters. That is how cheap I am. I roll my change and take it to the bank.

I bet they love to see me coming.

-- peruby

Laura said...

Yay! Pictures!!! I took some today, too.
I'm laughing about rolling the coin and bringing it to the bank. I won't give up 10% to the stupid machine either. And I still don't understand why I have to roll it. THEY have to count it anyway, and they just throw it into the machine. Wasting my time..bah!!
Keep in mind that the average debt is AVERAGE..meaning there are people who have little/no credit card debt and there are people on the other end of the spectrum. Yikes...
~L.