Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Take a closer look

moonflower upclose


Getting a little closer look at my moonflower. The bloom only lasts one night, but there are many, many on the plant. I have one entire side of my house (the west side) blooming with this delicious, sweet smelling flower.

My daughter goes to Kings Island with her friend and their family tomorrow. I hope she enjoys herself. She and her good friend do not like rides. Neither one ever did. They may spend their time on the water park side. I'll make sure she packs her sunscreen.

While browsing my news sites, I came across an article about certain states having a tax-free day for sales. What is this? I am starting my letter to my state representatives as soon as I finish this blog. Although, Pennsylvania is tax-free on clothing. If I feel up to it, I may drive my daughter there for some school shopping. But, what I save in tax, I will spend in fuel. So, maybe not.

Here is an interesting site that lists taxes by state. Rhode Island comes in with the highest gasoline tax at .31 cents per gallon, and Georgia comes in with the lowest at 7.5 cents per gallon. Yowza!

Don't start smoking if you live in Rhode Island or New Jersey. Not only did RI have the highest tax per gallon of gasoline they have a whopping $2.40 tax per 20/pack of cigarettes. NJ was the same. Cheapest cigarette tax was found in North Carolina at .05 cents and SC at .07 cents. I don't know why my sis goes to WV to purchase her cigs, the tax is the same as Ohio at .55 cents per pack. I don't smoke. I can't stand second-hand smoke.

It is also an interesting site to see what states determine to be tax exempt. My state does exempt food, and prescription drugs. I'll never forget when I went to Yellow Stone National Park. We flew into Montana. I think it was Billings? I bought a pair of sunglasses and there was no sales tax. A new experience for me.

Well, I'm off to Staples to purchase a new USB cable with a mini B port for my daughter's Zen. We lost her other one. She wants to download music to her mp3 player for the trip tomorrow. Cheerio!

No comments: