Sunday, September 01, 2013

Feeling so tired....err, BLESSED!






I can barely move. My head aches a little. I have a kitchen full of dirty dishes. (I do not return to work until Thursday and I have no plans in between!)  I am exhausted. But it is a happy, content exhausted.

Yes, my lower back hurts - but I did ask for help. My daughter and her beau unloaded the car for me last night when I could barely get myself out of the car and into the house.

I was at the park from 10:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m.  http://www.newphilaoh.com/html/tuscora_park/index.html

The morning and early afternoon were okay temperature-wise but it became very, very hot in the afternoon sun. There was a breeze that kept us cool earlier in the morning/afternoon  - but either it disappeared or just turned hot along with the air temperature.

The pool was a BIG  hit. As were the rides. Not so certain if the grandparents did okay. I know my sister wanted to visit more but she had her two grandsons and they were all GO, GO, GO!  :)

We had three precious babies under the age of one.

We had two toddlers.

We had four rowdy young boys.

I had all my sisters and one brother (with  pieces and parts to their families) show. I had 32 total. Two brothers rarely show at family functions. That is okay. I am going to try to get to them and visit soon. I love them and miss them dearly.

I am so full of thank full thoughts right now. I don't want to sound sappy.

The nephew that I am very close to (1977) brought his family. By close I mean I cared for him A LOT when he was young and he and I grew very close as we grew older. Many times I wished for him to find a girl and happiness. Well, that girl finally came a long. He met a girl who already had a little boy. He just turned 7. His imagination astounds me. They recently had a little baby girl. (her picture is above).

My sister (his Mother) is a sweet thing (when she is sober) but she has been out of the picture a lot during his life. There may be some regrets and resentment between the two of them but they are very close and I respect (and love) that they are.

She told me he never has left the little baby with ANYBODY before. Well, except for the baby's mother of course.  His girlfriend had already retreated to the pool with her seven  year old boy. They had forgotten towels. I lived just over the hill and he asked me if he could go over and get towels. I said "Sure!" I had his little baby girl at the time. Wow. You could tell he was so hesitant to go. After much butt kicking from me, he finally went. When he came back he headed straight for me and the baby. She was fine and I told him "Go! Go! Go!" And, down the hill he went to the pool.

He was gone for two hours! My sisters and I had our hands full with the little girl. She was rarely out. This was her second outing. My nephew had given me explicit directions on how to fix her bottle. There were packets of breast milk in the cooler. He had brought a thermos of hot water. A Rubbermaid container to pour the water into so I could heat the packet of breast milk. A portable "point" thermometer to test the temperature of the water and how to assemble the bottle etc..

The bottles I used 20-some years ago were simple glass or plastic things with tops. This one had a plastic bag you had to put into the bottle, fill it up, etc..

I did all of this while the little one was screaming her head off. LOL! Talk about feeling the heat. I chuckle about it now but we were all trying to get her to calm down. Next to being hungry we think the wee little one was just hot and miserable - like the rest of us.

My sister was so proud. She took the baby under the trees and got her settled down. A proud moment for "Grandma".  It made me feel good to know and understand how important it was for my sister to be successful in getting the baby to calm down. And she did it. She came through with flying colors.

By the time my nephew and the rest of his family returned his little baby girl was lying in her little hammock-bed with big bright eyes and completely content. She was minus her little polka-dotted top but they didn't seem to mind.

Nobody got hurt. The children were exhausted and from what I am hearing coming back to me via Facebook is that all were asleep before hitting the bottom of the park hill when they were being driven home. I hope so - I hope that all the parents and grandparents had a welcome respite and quiet drive back home. They deserved it.

The picnic was a success but I am going to aim for end of September next year. Aw, maybe not. Both the pool and the rides will be closed. I'll have to check with family. See if they prefer it that way - the kids won't be "begging" to ride or swim (costs money).  Maybe they will be content with the swings, slides, feeding the ducks, etc.. all free stuff.


2 comments:

Tabor said...

What a wonderful day. And what a good reader of people you are. That first baby is like a glass egg, the next one like a real egg and if a couple has three, the third is a rubber ball!!

Peruby said...

Tabor - I love it! Glass egg, regular egg and rubber ball. That sums it up perfectly. I am going to remember that phrase.