Saturday, September 28, 2013

White House Down

It is a big house. From the back you can see the basement level, first floor and upstairs, then the attic. From the front - the sidewalk is just a little lower than the road and walks right into the front porch on the first floor. The house was built on a slope. This is about how the house looked back in the late 60's or early 70's.

The furnace was installed in 1968 or so. It is still there. An oil furnace. The only bathroom is the little window at the top in the middle. I never once remember the toilet overflowing or not flushing. Never once did we have a stopped up sink that I can recall. I guess gravity may be the best thing when dealing with that stuff because it all flows downhill, right?

The back porch on the right was rebuilt with new steps, etc. The wrap-around porch - you can see partly on the left had to all go and we were left with only a porch on the front of the house. My brother  re-roofed and re-floored the front porch. I helped him. He is an S.O.B. to work with. We laugh about it now, but back then he was not a pleasant person. I refused to work with him on anything, ever again. He is very loving towards me always hugging me etc. We have a good relationship, now.

Today is going to be a very, very emotional time. And we are going to be right out in the street almost for all the neighbors to witness this White House Down event. There is going to be some crying, I know. It will probably be me. I don't care. There was a lot of love in that house. A lot of strength. Like my older sister said - "It is like my Mom dying all over again."  This was HER house. She is buried a few hundred yards from this house.

This was the first house she ever felt "at home" in because she was finally safe. No more getting kicked out because my dad didn't pay the rent or the house was being condemned. Oh, yes. Many of the houses we lived in were condemned when my family left. Fortunately for me, I came along late in life and this was my third house by six years old and this one was purchased by my older sister. My Mom had a home for life, now.

We just neglected it. A few touch ups here and there, but then nothing. It fell apart. Especially since my Mom passed in 2000. It has set empty except for a few raccoons and squirrels, I guess. A neighbor called the county inspector and they are making us take it down. Sigh.

It is true that we have abandoned the house after 13 years. We have nobody to blame but ourselves. It is one of those things where you want to have a piece of your past to go back to. Even if it is an empty shell. It is filled with memories.

I gotta go. I have to load up my car with gloves, a chair, rakes and a broom. Some goodies for the workers to snack on. Beer for the neighbor letting us sit on his property to record the event and watch.

I am sick, I tell you. Just sick.

2 comments:

Tabor said...

Please do not be sick. It is symbolic of that time in your life and its fall does not mean all those memories are gone. It is a shell--a thing. The heart is still with each of you! And home is where the heart is.

Celia said...

Powerful memories and feelings are attached to the places we lived as children. The first stable family home I had is gone also, not wrecked but hauled away before an office building was put up over it and three other lots. The memories are ours to keep.