I usually call my episode the Migraine Monkey, so how appropriate that I find this picture on the Internets. I have had one since Saturday morning. I told myself "Get moving, Peruby. You have company coming in at 4. You have birthday balloons and the big cookie to pick up. You have a big family get together at seven."
Nothing. My personal favorite expression is: "I felt like a limp dish cloth." My Mom always liked the thin dish cloths when we washed dishes. You could fit them into glasses, etc. I washed many dishes in my day and when finished I wrung out the dish cloth and set it on the sink to dry. It looked rather pathetic all wet and skimpy.
That is pretty much how I feel when I have a migraine. No strength whatsoever. Totally washed out.
The medicine worked enough to get me through the events of the week-end. By yesterday afternoon I was down. Sitting and could not do much. My company left (they are family and my sister is so wonderful, she tries to wait on me hand and foot).
I went to bed late. I notice when I have a migraine I put things off as long as I can. You would thing falling into bed is easy, but I have a lot of prep work. So I went to bed later than I should have. Not good. Dogs have to be taken out. My daughter was wonderful and massaged my head for me, the pain abated; but as soon as I stepped outside in the frosty air - bang. That headache hit me like a semi. Son of a bitch! I should have taken more medicine but I was stubborn. I went to bed. Each time I woke up, yep -still there. This morning I knew. I needed more Imitrex.
I took an imitrex, two advil and posted at work that I would be in late today. I rested my eyes. It is bearable now, but I can never think straight or move very quickly. I must take things slow. It affects my balance, my thinking. Friends would laugh at me when I talked during a migraine. They called it my verbal dyslexia. Words come out all wrong.
One thing I notice when I am "getting" a migraine is what I call "running away from it." I move very quickly. I rush and do things so fast. It is so I do not focus on what is coming. You can feel a migraine coming sometimes a mile away and when I get the feeling I am scrambling around. It is a symptom of migraine, yet but I always consider it my "running away" from it. Trying to avoid the inevitable.
The medicine is working. My limbs are weak. I will take a very hot shower. That helps the medicine. Move slow. Breathe. Take it easy. Work will wait. Sip coffee. So relieved the nausea is gone.

4 comments:
So many people, mostly women, get these migraines and they are such an interruption in a life. I am so sorry and I really wish they would find a cure or super-safe preventative soon!!
I had migraines from the age fourteen till I was almost forty-five. It used to feel the left side of my head was going to blow out. Generally speaking the only way I could get rid of one was to lay down, go to sleep. Sometime that worked, sometime not. It was a real handicap through the most productive time of my life, both in business and the time spent in the military. I feel for you. Over the years I've had lots of advice but nothing ever worked. I would have thought they would have found a cure by now. Miagraines are a pain in the ... head.
My mother suffered severe migraines most of her life. My daughter also has them. I have had migraines but they were of the ocular variety. No pain but a small portion of my field of vision would be black. Good news for me was that I had no more of them after menopause.
Hope yours slow down a bit.
Whew. I've never understood what a migraine was like - thankfully. Your description was enlightening - unfortunately. Feel better soon.
Post a Comment