Thursday, September 24, 2009

The reunion is bittersweet

My baby has been brought back to me, but .... he is wounded

They tried with him. It was the separation anxiety. They tried to put him in their garage and he cut himself up. I didn't see the complete damage until just a few minutes ago.

I came home from work when they dropped him off. I tucked him into the house and I went back to work. I came home, and walked him. He ate a full bowl of food and then snuggled on the couch. I got my glasses and the Neosporin and turned my brightest living room lamp on. He was calm and snoozing away.

I gently applied some here and there. Each look I became more horrified. I blocked out his privates in the photo. The sore you don't see is on the inside of the other leg. I lifted the top leg and applied some ointment on it. He jumped. I jumped. I wanted to cry. I made him as comfortable as I could and he rested his head on my arm.

We sat like that for a long time.

The puppies were ecstatic. They were a little harsh around the hind legs where the wounds were, though. He didn't seem to mind a bit. Even Sable seemed happy to see her friend. With him back in the house, the pups will probably leave her alone.

They had him inoculated for rabies and a years' worth of heart worm and flea medicine. They renamed him Brutus. I don't know. I tried to call him Brutus, but it didn't feel right. I slipped back to Slade.

3 comments:

Cheyenne said...

WTH...how on earth did he do that? My heart goes out to him...poor baby. I am so glad you have him back where he will be loved and taken care of properly.

Peruby said...

Cheyenne - they told me that they tried to keep him in the garage. I am guessing that he jumped something and his back legs got caught and ... cut.

I will do the best that I can. My perfect "sharp" boxer is now scarred.

He also has some tremors while he sleeps. Almost seizure-like. I can get them to stop by petting him and humming my mantra song to him.

Tabor said...

Clearly he felt he was being shut out from the pack by being forced to stay in the garage. He probably thought he was a prisoner and not a member of the pack. So sorry, but looks like you got a new dog!