Saturday, February 28, 2009

Elephant Sage


Pittsburgh Zoo August 2008

If wrinkles are a sign of character, then this fella is pretty charismatic. He looks wise beyond his years. Could be a she? Do female elephants have tusks.? That is what the Internet is for. Yes, they do.

Being the resident computer guru in the family, I went to work on a sibling's computer last night. I am a bit dismayed when I fix something, but then the computer runs slower than before I touched it. Some fixes require a re-boot and when I did that, the system moved like cold molasses. I finally found the culprit, but what an ordeal.

It reminds me of a time I went to fix a program in a computer for a school district's Treasurer. He left the office while I worked. I had to insert a CD to run a fix for the program and I couldn't get it to run. I thought I had dome something to the CD drive and I spent some time trying to fix that. When the Treasurer returned he informed me "Oh, the CD drive has been broken for months." Sheesh.


2 comments:

Bagman and Butler said...

We have a huge IT department where I work but we could have used you as a mercenary yesterday...a 4:55 p.m...268 computers (out of around 1,000)simultaneously reformatted themselves. The whole place looked like a large anthill that someone had just kicked.

Peruby said...

What the heck? Was it a virus of sorts, somebody type in the wrong command? What a disaster. I hope they had back-ups. Disgruntled employee maybe?