My daughter is sick with bronchitis. She has been out all week. She normally leaves at 7 a.m., me at 7:30. I saw a dusting of snow on the ground Thursday morning and didn't give it a second thought. I did not check school closings. It just didn't occur to me.
I got in my car and went to turn out into our street. The cars were all moving so slow. I looked at the street and saw that shine. Packed, translucent ice. The road was an ice skating rink.
I crept out and at the first intersection was a cop car and a tow truck. I was going straight, but to the left was a little hill. There were two cars who had ended up in some body's yard.
I slowly drove to the next intersection. Another car in the ditch.
I saw 4 accidents during my 2.5 miles to the office. I was glad to get off the roads.
My brother works in a town 10 miles from me.
He sent me a photo of one of the runs they went on that morning. He said the poor lady was still in the car. They could not get her out until the tow truck arrived and pulled the car out.
What a ride.

2 comments:
I am so glad I don't have to drive in that stuff. My husband does all the driving and these days if it's too bad outside, we stay inside. But he's a truck driver, and he's used to that kind of weather conditions so we don't stay home too often on bad days.
I might just have turned around and headed back home...but I am older these days.
Post a Comment