Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Alarmist

I grew up just down the road from a fire station. During the 70's it had one of those top of the roof sirens that would start out slow and rise to a high-pitched wail. The dogs would howl. If it was warm outside we might come out of our house to look up the road toward the fire station.

Today we were brought out of our offices, out of our seats, out from behind our work stations by the wailer. The siren. The Alarmist as I like to call them.

They start out slow and rise to a high-pitched wail. She was in full force.

She was stomping.

The Alarmist. Setting everybody off and getting every body's knickers in a twist. She gives women a bad name because she gets hysterical and most technology folks end up laughing at her behind her back.

You should hear her speak to her children on the telephone. My heart hurts for them.

4 comments:

Scribbit said...

Oh my goodness--how on earth do you stand it?? She'd drive me crazy.

Tabor said...

Where I worked a few of the computer techs were the ones who wrote insulting and nasty ticket responses to our help request. Honestly, they were so insulting sometimes that we wondered how that person could be kept on board. They would correct the grammar, reword the sentence we wrote, etc. before they even began a response to the problem.

Peruby said...

Scribbit - almost everybody in the office rolls their eyes when she comes into a room.

I'll give her this though. With all that drama she is a great one to dress up as a pilgrim and Mrs. Claus during the holidays for a video show with the little kids.

Peruby said...

Tabor - how horrible to have to deal with people like that. Maybe they missed their calling and should have been an English teacher, albeit a rude one.

Tech folks are rumored to be very difficult and very uppity. I've dealt with a few that were a real pain.

I'd like to strangle them with a cat 5 cable.