Saturday, September 02, 2006

Pain or something like it


Something swirled in Paint Shop.

A few years back, maybe a decade or two, Kenny Rogers had a song out that had the line "Love or something like it's got a hold on me." Pain or something like it's got a hold on me. Not so bad today. Thursday afternoon we took Sable to the vet's office. She had scratched a sore on the side of her face under her right ear. I suspected ear mites, but again the vet said it was her allergies.

I had to hold Sable down while the doctor shaved the hair from around the sore. Sable didn't like it one bit and she is a big dog. The exertion of holding her down brought me a headache that slams into the back of my head like a crowbar. Again, it lasts five minutes and then retreats to a dull ache. Friday night, Tuesday morning and now, Thursday afternoon.

My description is like somebody taking a crowbar and sinking it into the back of your skull. Then they begin to pry it towards them in an attempt to pull your head off.

I researched on the Internet. The closest I could find to what I was experiencing is called a "Thunderclap" headache. The doctor went through the normal examination. No numbness, dizziness or tingling. Thankfully, it doesn't appear to be an aneurysm. She diagnosed a pulled muscle and sent me home with a prescription for muscle relaxers and the name of a masseuse. "Say what?" Yep. Giving her (the doctor) the benefit of the doubt, maybe the pulled muscle is causing the exertion headaches. Maybe she realizes the same thing I read on the Internet. There ain't much you can do for a "thunderclap" headache. Wonderful.

Oh, and the masseuse is $120.00 for an hour and a half. First visit must be an hour and a half. You know insurance won't pay. They said 99.9% don't. That would be too wonderful. I am debating the massage.

Meanwhile I am on day two of the relaxers. Big deal. Doctor told me to relax for the next week. I have been sick for over five days. Do you know what kind of state my house is in? Major atomic bomb site. Relax, my butt. Maybe she has a maid. I wonder just how in touch professionals are with the rest of us out here in the real world.

I also wonder what life would be like without all of these headaches. I have had some good days and sometimes I stop and get real quiet. What would it be like to feel this way every single day? I wouldn't be so grumpy. I wouldn't be so mean and nasty. I would make crafts and paint again. The smell of paints or glue wouldn't bother me. I could stay outside and work. The weather changes wouldn't bother me, either. Oh, get real.

My oldest brother and sister's migraines stopped when they retired from their jobs. They rarely get one any more. I still use the relaxation CD. Two years, now.

I am rambling. I am tired. Can headaches be recognized like a major illness such as diabetes? Or, arthritis? When somebody says they have diabetes, people kind of know what they are speaking of. Take your medicine and you should be okay. When you mention migraines, you kind of get a look like "Uh huh." Sometimes people like to think they know what causes your headaches. You must be eating too much cheese, chocolate and red wine. You need to take vitamins. You're breathing wrong. You must be allergic to some foods. You sit wrong. You walk wrong. You wear the wrong type of shoes. You need to walk more. You need to drink more water. You take too many 'over the counter' pills. Oh, there are more. Many more. I've heard my share.

Over the past 30 years with my migraines I have discovered the major triggers (for me):

1. Hormones
2.Weather change
3.Change in sleep patterns
(I don't care what they say about going to bed at the same time and getting up at the same time each and every day. Sometimes you have to go out on a week-end and stay up late! I do like to socialize, you know!)
4.Smells such as perfume and cigarette smoke
5.Stress, I guess.
6.Onions, I think.

I never know when I am under stress. I have become so conditioned to saying "I am fine" when anyone asks me, I don't give it a second thought. A lot of migraines come after the stress episode.

We watched "Eight Below" today. About the sled dogs. I can't believe we waited this long to watch it. My daughter really likes the husky-type dogs. I don't. I can't stand a blue-eyed dog for some weird reason. I don't trust them. My Sable has the big soft brown eyes.

We have "Failure to Launch" to watch for tomorrow or Monday. I am trying to relax but I can't stand to sit in the living room and watch a movie when I look around and this needs done and that needs done.

At least this holiday week-end I am free from get togethers. Well, a birthday party last night but no cook-outs. Since last week-end was the graduation party and next week-end is the big wedding, I guess everybody needs some breathing room.

I hope I kick this latest headache episode before the wedding! That would certainly be a damper.

I know that I have to mow the grass soon. I can't let it go very much longer. Just give me one good day, and hopefully on that good day it is dry enough to mow.

No comments: