Monday, September 04, 2006

Cheap sunglasses

It's never too early to protect your eyes.

This is my great-nephew. His parents are getting married this week-end. Cart before the horse and all that stuff. They purchased a house a month ago. Then they are off to Nassau for a honeymoon. I forgot to ask my sister, but I suppose she is watching the bambino while they go.

The wedding is out of town so a lot of family will be staying overnight in a motel. The rooms were going quickly so I reserved all they had left. Which was three. My other sister asked if we should check into the motel room and then go to the wedding. I said "Definitely, because if they are that booked they will probably give our rooms away!"

My niece called me today crying. Her boyfriend told her to "Get out." They have been living together for 18 months. I read a book a long time ago that if couples co-habitating aren't married in 18 months, it isn't going to happen. This is the niece that stayed with me from 15 to 18.5 years. She is heartbroken.

Not a one of her friends like(d) her boyfriend. Her Mother didn't like him. I don't care for him, he can be nice - but I didn't like a lot of things that I saw. But, I believe that everybody has to learn for themselves. Nobody can tell you. She works two part-time jobs, goes to school full time and took care of most of the cleaning and cooking at his house that he shared with his dad. We (the family) felt that she was being used. Nobody could tell me anything at 19, and I feel that she is pretty much the same way. Blind to love. Love conquers all. Love at all costs. She doesn't eat very well, and I can't imagine that this is going to be very good for her.

Over the past year, she has let all her girlfriends go because of him. One recently re-newed their friendship, but she is leaving for Columbus this month for college. Maybe 2 jobs and school will be good for her. She can keep herself busy.

My daughter is bouncing around with her new haircut. She loves it. I am worried about when her roots start growing in. I swear when I combed it out for her today after her shower, the hair was pure white on the top of her head. I know it will tone down. This coming from somebody who has now dyed her hair for close to 30 years.

My daughter's style is a cut that needs some fixing up in the mornings. Not something she is very good at. We like that wash it, comb it and go hairstyle. I never use a blow dryer. My hair is dry before I am done combing it out. Well, okay - not that fast but pretty close.

This should be interesting. Lucky for me I am off all week for the buckeye marathon, and can give her hair some "style" time. But when I go back to work, she is going to have to buckle down and do it herself. She wanted the hair, she can deal with it.

So we are back to a three girl family again. My counsellor is going to raise her eyebrows at me for not telling my niece "No, you can't come back." How can I turn my back on her? I helped to raise her for crying out loud. My niece has 3 rats. I have 4 cats. This should be very interesting.

3 comments:

Miki said...

I too am a fan of the wash and go hair, my hair is too thick and unruly for me to do anything otherwise. It may not be the most fashionable hair around, but it is mine and well whom an I impressing? So, anyhow, your neice will get herself together, just be glad that you are there for her, she needs a warm loving environment right now, healing will happen. You are right, she will be busy, so that too will help. And with all of the business, she won't have time to make a "mess" in your house. Good luck with the pet thing, keep us posted!

Tabor said...

No, you cannot turn your back on her in this situation. But now is the time to make sure some rules are established, responsbilities are assigned, and everyone pulls more than their own weight in your house. It is a good thing that she is not going to have a permanent relationship with this guy that everyone did not like. If she goes back to him, I then put my foot down and tell her that that means she cannot come back to you in the future!

Peruby said...

So far so good. They have talked and they have decided to remain apart.

We settled a couple of snags in the household this evening.

Thank-you both for your wise comments. It is nice to get some outside feedback.