On my patio outside I have hanging five colorful twirlers. After the 4th of July get together, I wanted something with pretty colors. I "love" red, white and blue in the patriotic sense, but I hate it for decorating. Blah!
In 1976 my sisters painted a bunch of bedroom furniture red white and blue. I hated it. But, I never painted over it. So, what am I complaining about? I just realized that. I could have painted over it when they all moved out. I took over one of the other bedrooms. It wasn't like I didn't have my pick. I don't know whatever happened to that bedroom furniture. Hard to say.
So anyway, I was feeling kind of restless tonight. I went out in the rain and snapped some pictures from the patio. Mostly I experimented with the twirlers and the dreary wet gray background of the sky. I like the ones that came out like the above. Where the flash from the camera exploded into a thousand light rays.
Turner classic movies is playing Out of Africa. The movie is kind of long, and I've seen it at least a dozen times, but it is still one of my favorites. I have read the book and it is different than the movie. I can relate to the way the female lead falls in love with a man, and she believes he thinks the same way that she does. And she is so confused when he doesn't think the same way. In her opinion, when you love somebody and you think that they love you, they only want to be with you. She can't figure out why the men she falls in love with keep seeing other women besides her. Some women can tolerate that kind of behavior, and some don't.
I read somewhere that 9 out of 10 wives will stay with an alcoholic husband, but only 1 out of 10 husbands stay with an alcoholic wife.
Another favorite part of the movie is when she first comes to Africa and walks right into the Men's club where women are NOT allowed. I guess that didn't happen in Denmark. She is surprised by this backward behavior. I feel like I have lived my entire life surprised like that. I can still recall when one of my sister's boyfriends complimented me on my driving. Way back in my Texas days I drove him back to a military base in New Mexico. He was just amazed that I could drive the Interstate and traffic, etc. At the time I was 22 and I didn't think much of it. Why in the hell wouldn't I be able to? A few years later I thought back on that. I had many rude awakenings with how some men are conditioned to think. And, some women.
My Mom never drove. I do have to confess that I never drove a stick. A lot of people chided me about that. My thinking was, why drive a shift when they make automatics? Kind of like using a scrub board and bucket of water when there is a perfectly good washing machine in the laundry room. Now, I didn't say I couldn't drive a stick. I just never felt the need to. When I was learning to drive, we didn't have any manual transmission vehicles around. So I never practiced with one.
If it counts for anything, I like to downshift my automatic once in a while before a red light or stop sign. Hah! Hah! I like the feel of it. Is that why people drive a stick? To feel the engine shift when you tell it to? Maybe it is a power thing.
I have been working in ATM video all day. Can you tell that my brain is fried? I am so mad that I can't get this blasted problem figured out. Just when I think I have it, the unit fails to make the video call. Stupid, outdated technology. It is like the old video Beta and VHS. Some video sites are still trying to hang on to the Beta technology (in the case, ATM). Shoot! Cut your losses, already. The money is spent. Quit beating a dead horse. I know, I know. There is no money to convert to the newer IP video calling equipment. No crystal ball was around 8 years ago when you bought this ATM equipment. Some bought the IP version, some the ATM. It was all a crap shoot for the schools. Now, there is no money.
What do you think about home schooling? There are so many opportunities now. There are also people who just cop out. They can't discipline their child to get to school or to behave, so the alternative solution is to stick a computer in their home and have the child learn on their own through a virtual environment. Some families need this for ill children or severely behavior problem children. Some abuse the system. As for me, my daughter will go to a school building with school teachers and fellow students. She needs the interaction with other people. She must learn how to get along with people.
I'm going back out and finish watching the movie. They just saw an airplane flying over the plains of Africa.
Turner classic movies is playing Out of Africa. The movie is kind of long, and I've seen it at least a dozen times, but it is still one of my favorites. I have read the book and it is different than the movie. I can relate to the way the female lead falls in love with a man, and she believes he thinks the same way that she does. And she is so confused when he doesn't think the same way. In her opinion, when you love somebody and you think that they love you, they only want to be with you. She can't figure out why the men she falls in love with keep seeing other women besides her. Some women can tolerate that kind of behavior, and some don't.
I read somewhere that 9 out of 10 wives will stay with an alcoholic husband, but only 1 out of 10 husbands stay with an alcoholic wife.
Another favorite part of the movie is when she first comes to Africa and walks right into the Men's club where women are NOT allowed. I guess that didn't happen in Denmark. She is surprised by this backward behavior. I feel like I have lived my entire life surprised like that. I can still recall when one of my sister's boyfriends complimented me on my driving. Way back in my Texas days I drove him back to a military base in New Mexico. He was just amazed that I could drive the Interstate and traffic, etc. At the time I was 22 and I didn't think much of it. Why in the hell wouldn't I be able to? A few years later I thought back on that. I had many rude awakenings with how some men are conditioned to think. And, some women.
My Mom never drove. I do have to confess that I never drove a stick. A lot of people chided me about that. My thinking was, why drive a shift when they make automatics? Kind of like using a scrub board and bucket of water when there is a perfectly good washing machine in the laundry room. Now, I didn't say I couldn't drive a stick. I just never felt the need to. When I was learning to drive, we didn't have any manual transmission vehicles around. So I never practiced with one.
If it counts for anything, I like to downshift my automatic once in a while before a red light or stop sign. Hah! Hah! I like the feel of it. Is that why people drive a stick? To feel the engine shift when you tell it to? Maybe it is a power thing.
I have been working in ATM video all day. Can you tell that my brain is fried? I am so mad that I can't get this blasted problem figured out. Just when I think I have it, the unit fails to make the video call. Stupid, outdated technology. It is like the old video Beta and VHS. Some video sites are still trying to hang on to the Beta technology (in the case, ATM). Shoot! Cut your losses, already. The money is spent. Quit beating a dead horse. I know, I know. There is no money to convert to the newer IP video calling equipment. No crystal ball was around 8 years ago when you bought this ATM equipment. Some bought the IP version, some the ATM. It was all a crap shoot for the schools. Now, there is no money.
What do you think about home schooling? There are so many opportunities now. There are also people who just cop out. They can't discipline their child to get to school or to behave, so the alternative solution is to stick a computer in their home and have the child learn on their own through a virtual environment. Some families need this for ill children or severely behavior problem children. Some abuse the system. As for me, my daughter will go to a school building with school teachers and fellow students. She needs the interaction with other people. She must learn how to get along with people.
I'm going back out and finish watching the movie. They just saw an airplane flying over the plains of Africa.

2 comments:
I have never seen that movie and I have no idea why.
I learned to drive on a stick, but transferred to automatic and to this day I cannot drive stick shift anymore. It's a riot when I try.
I get what you mean about preconceived notions. I feel that I am able to do just about anything a man can, not that I would want to do some of them, but I feel if I am pushed to the limit and must do then I will do. I have never in my life actually driven a stick, tried to drive my husbands little chevy once, and I couldn't get it into gear, but as you say, if the washing machine is in the laundry room....I haven't seen the movie either, I guess it came out when I was otherwise occupied, or wasn't interested, or whatever, I will have to rent the dvd and check it out.
Post a Comment