Saturday, October 22, 2011

How much longer?

My boxer, Slade seems to be saying "Mom, when does she go? This monstrosity of a canine - what do you call her - a German Shepherd? When does she go? She is too big, too noisy, too rambunctious and she vies for all  your attention!"

She pushes every other dog away. That's right. I have five dogs in my house this week-end. My old gal (barrel dog) Sable. The boxer, Slade. My two little rescues, Cheech and Chong. And this young pup, Belle. She is maybe 8 months old and she is a small horse. No, horses are sturdy. She is thin and long. More like a deer. Long legs, bounces around and her tail is heavy and huge. She knocks everything over. Water goes everywhere. She does not sulk. She bounces right back if I reprimand her.

She seems to love the cats. She tries so hard to be their friends. The older two cats were her friends right away. The other three are curious but keep their distance. She however, wants so badly to smell them and get to know them better.

My boxer has had obedience training. That is obvious when I walk him on a leash. I tried to tell my daughter and her beau to get this Shepherd into training. They have not. She pulls my arm out of my socket when I walk her. I did not take the little terrier mixes in because I can handle them. They are under 40 pounds each. But this shepherd. OMG. She is more than a handful. She should be trained. Maybe I'll pay for the training or take her myself. For my daughter's sake.

4 comments:

Tabor said...

5 dogs? 5 cats? Maybe you should get a bird?

Kari in Alaska said...

We have enough fun juggling 4 dogs I could imagine adding another and 5 cats!

Stop on by for a visit
Kari
http://dogisgodinreverse.com

Dog Hair in my Coffee said...

YAY! For a weekend you have 1 MORE dog than me! But I still have 2 MORE cats than you. Would you like one? Then we could be even- 4 dogs each, and 6 cats. Sounds like a plan. I'll meet you at the PA/Ohio border?
In the meantime, can you post a picture of this shepherd? Because despite it's exuberance, it sounds beautiful. I'd love to see it!

Cheyenne said...

Yes, most definitely the shepherd should have training. Otherwise he will forever pull anyone on the other end of the leash when out for a walk.