Thursday, May 05, 2011

What's in a (code)name?

Seems like some folks are upset about the military using "Geronimo" as the code name for 'O bin la'. Here is a photo I snagged of the Apache warrior. Yikes!  He kind of looks like he is wearing a version of a keffiyeh. Then put a long, thin and scraggly beard on him and - OMG! There are not many recent pictures of obinla. If there were, I bet the face would be close to looking as craggy as Gero's.

Speaking of pictures - I do not care to see the gruesome details of the body.

Really, though. Can you imagine life if your name was Katrina? Why didn't people with this name sue the World Meteorlogical Organization or at least ask for an apology? Actually I am kind of surprised they didn't  - given the audaciousness of human nature.

6 comments:

Grumpy said...

I'm with the Apaches on this one; they could have been more sensitive.

Peruby said...

I don't think sensitivity is their strong suit.

Cheyenne said...

Yeah, I agree..they could have thought of something better.

Anonymous said...

Geronimo has been used by our military since shortly after the Indian Wars in this country. Never in a derogatory manner. I took training, once upon a time, with 11th Airborne, Ft Campbell, Ky. Sticks when they were jumping would yell out, "Geronimo" as they jumped. Later when it became necessary to use a password to move about, often the sign or countersign would be Geronimo. I once named my patrols Geronimo, Sitting Bull, Stella Dallas, and King Kong.
The military always had respect for the Apache fighter. Just some thoughts.

Peruby said...

I wouldn't want to be in the patrol called Stella Dallas (if I was a guy). LOL! - sorry, just sayin'.

Anonymous said...

The guys loved it. Patrol coming in in the wee hours before dawn. The sentry yells out "halt! Who Goes there?"

A voice in the patrol calls out, This is Stella Dallas, darling, coming home, or something.