Friday, May 20, 2011

Droplets

A dewy spider web on a bush in front of my house.

It is early Friday morning. I have been up since 3:30. I took the dogs out and then read e-mails, etc... Then I created a birthday list to give to family and friends. We do that. We create a list (with pictures). It works well for us. This year I want hanging flower baskets, lawn decorations and cookware (to replace broken or lost stuff). It is pretty bad when the pictures I choose off the Internet take me to a shopping site that lists a dutch oven for $278 and a lamp for $280. When did I get such expensive tastes? No, I don't want another lamp. I must have 20 around here. I love lamps.

I signed out about 5 books from the library. Vacation next week. It is supposed to be a working around the house vacation. I need to pull everything out of my living room and dining room area to make ready for a new floor. What do you want to bet that the books get read and the work does not get done? Heh, heh. I at least hope to be able to mow the lawn. It looks as if we will have a break from the rain this week-end. I could have started that last night but I was at the end of a three day headache. One that was NOT responding to OTC medication and I was not taking another prescription migraine pill.

Maybe I'll get a chance to check out the other blog sites this coming week and set up a back-up blog to use in case of another outage that blogger experienced. You can read about it here:  http://buzz.blogger.com/.

I should write about good companies I have had experience with also - not just the negative. For the most part, Verizon had great service. This one incident really left a scar on me, though.

For an example of great customer service, let me share this story with you. I have been looking at cameras for about 2 years, now. I am very happy with the Canon brand. The only two features I had trouble with were the delay in shooting and the letters wore off the selection button on top of the unit. I bought a Power Shot in 2003 5.1mp. It has served me very well.

I was watching prices closely and when Sears put their Power Shot SX30 on sale I went to snap it up. While the sales lady was in the back looking for my camera I browsed the stereo systems. I have an old CD player/radio sitting on my patio. It is filled with dust and debris because it has sat out there every summer since I moved in (2002). Nobody has ever bothered it. I have been meaning to replace it. 

There sat a beautiful Sony CD/mp3 player with an iPod connection and a sub woofer. The sales lady came back with my camera and we took it out of the box and were going over the details - it has this, this and that. I noticed there was no memory card included. I asked her if she could throw one in for free. She said that would be the other lady's decision. The other sales lady came over and I showed her the memory card from my daughter's camera and explained that it would not work in this new camera. Could she throw in an SD memory card with the camera? "No" she said. "I can't do that?" I said "How about if I also purchase that Sony stereo right there? I pointed to the stereo I  had been looking at. She quipped back "Will an 8 gig card be okay?"

LOL! Verizon - take note! Now THAT is customer service!

Oh. Between you, me and the barn door (or fence post) - I think my old camera still takes better macro pictures but this could be because I have not had time to properly use or experiment with the new one. 14.1mp with 35mm zoom. I have no idea if I have discovered how to use the macro feature or not. I can't seem to find it to turn that on. I keep pressing the macro button but I don't see the little tulip appear on the screen like I did with the old camera. My dogs have already chewed up a piece of plastic that covers the top flash holder. Grrrr! 

The last four pictures or so of my posts have been from the new camera. I am still learning. I think it was 2 years before I really got the hang of the older one but I didn't take the time at first to play with it. I have been practicing with this one almost every day. This upcoming week I hope to read the on-line manual and I plan to take the time to get my tripod out and go to a lake or two.

Oh and by the way...just so you know. At 50 years old I finally have the chutzpah to ask for free things like the memory card. In my younger days I never bartered, bickered, complained or asked for anything. Sigh. Maybe new tricks can be taught to old dogs.

8 comments:

Tabor said...

I have two perfectly good cameras...a Canon powershot (years old) and a Canon EOS (also several years old). I always am looking at the new stuff in cameras and drooling. The newer powershot was a little bigger in the newer version, but maybe someday. I am taking you shopping with me next time, Okay?

Dog Hair in my Coffee said...

Love the spiderweb picture! Good for you for asking for things. I am not QUITE there yet, but can see myself getting there soon (maybe because I'm 48? Maybe when I'm 50, too? tee hee) What books did you take out? AND, what kind of floor are you putting down? I ask because I have to rip out our sorta new carpeting this summer (thank you, dogs) and put some sort of new floor down, too, but don't know what to do. Old, beat up pine plank floor underneathe that is too bad to refinish, and can't do carpeting...
Hope you enjoy your week off. And yes, I HOPE it stops raining. I feel soggy.

Peruby said...

Tabor - yes I will go shopping with you. Anytime. As long as it is electronics or outdoor stuff or kitchen ware. No clothes!

Peruby said...

Dog Hair - thank you for your comment on the pic. I have scheduled a post on the books set up to appear tomorrow a.m.

I will have to post what kind of floor at a later date. I have the quote around here somewhere and I cannot recall what the name brand was. Unless you mean laminate. I can't spring for the hard wood. This laminate has a 20 year guarantee. I think it is rio grande cherry or something like that.

kden said...

It does take some time to learn a new camera. I have a newer Canon and still like some of the features of my old one. I'm not brave enough to ask for free stuff. It's kind of dumb NOT to though, so good for you. Enjoy your time off!

Peruby said...

kden - thanks. It looks like rain every day. :(

Sometimes I have the nerve to ask. Later I sit and wonder - who was that person inside me asking for stuff?

Timelesslady said...

Spiderweb photograph is stunning! Hi, found your blog through a like on our profiles of a movie, "Firelight." It's not a well-known movie, but one of my favorites. I was a child in the end of the fifties and through the sixties, and also a teen in the seventies...Yikes! Enough said. I like my Canon camera...works great. We had two problems with Verizon these past two months...couldn't connect for a day. My blogs are still with me...didn't lose them, but did lose one post, but found it again...go figure. Anyway, hello...I love browsing other people's blogs, and often find that if I have one like in common, I have several. Happy day to you. Kathy

Peruby said...

Kathy - thanks for stopping by. It does sound like we have a lot in common. I will be visiting your blog and check things out.