Saturday, September 18, 2010

Push


There are some things I need to get used to about this "Fascinate". I am not totally "fascinated". My first and biggest complaint is I have no way of knowing if there is a message waiting for me until I pull the phone out of sleep mode and check my screen. My daughter (Droid 2) said that she has a small tiny green light that lets her know if she has a message.

Because (contrary to most folks these days) I do not take my phone with me everywhere (like the bathroom!). I will leave it sit on my desk at work and when I return I am left wondering "Did I get a message? How will I know?" My old Razr would beep at me every 5 minutes if somebody left a message.

This "Fascinate" remains silent.

My sister called me Thursday evening. I was sitting right by the phone. It did not ring. I heard a beep and I looked to find that I had a voicemail. In fact, it said I had "missed a call". How could that be? I was sitting right here. The volume was turned up. Hmmm.

The next day at work, my brother called. The phone was ringing it's head off, I pulled it out of sleep mode and pushed the button. Nothing. It just kept ringing. And ringing. I pushed and pushed. Ack! Another "missed" call. This phone is toying with me.

I tried to call him back. I pushed and pushed - no use. It was as if an invisible shield had come over the face of the phone and was not going to respond to anything I did to it.

It beeped (or hiccuped) with a message that I had a voicemail. Then (and only then) was I able to get a response from the touchpad keyboard. I called my brother back.

I set the phone down and stared at it. It had the audacity to go to sleep.

"So THIS is how it's going to be, huh?" I gave it a stern look. I squared my shoulders and sat up in my chair.

"Bring it on bitch. I will slay this dragon."

3 comments:

Grumpy said...

That's why I have a phone that makes calls and receives calls, period.

Cheyenne said...

So much for modern technology. I have a phone like Grumpy's too and we still have our landline phone. I don't think I'll ever give that up. There are some things I just can't let go of.

Peruby said...

For a long time that is what I wanted - a phone only to make calls on. Then came the texting. I didn't care for it at first (because of the cryptic keys on a regular cell phone) but more and more I began to use it.

My family is quite large and I never liked talking on the phone. So, texting became more and more frequent.

I chose a "smart" phone so I could check e-mail when not near a computer and look up places when I am out of my area. I do a fair amount of travelling and I hope that it will help me out. We shall see.

Cheyenne - I probably would have never let go of my landline except for financial reasons. We were never using it anymore - that was another incentive to get rid of it.