That is my maternal grandmother on the right. She died when my mom was ten. That would be 1930. So this photo was probably taken in the late 1920's.She left my mom to be raised by her parents. She did not marry my mom's dad. She met this man many years later, married him and they had a son. She died ten days after childbirth.
I can only imagine what my mom felt since she is no longer around for me to ask. I didn't think to ask questions when I was younger.
My mom's half brother caught up with us in 1976. He came to meet his half sister and her large family. He was always talking about how lonely his childhood was and how he wished he were part of a huge family. His 80th birthday is tomorrow.
4 comments:
wow....
When we start to explore our roots as adults we see things in a very different light. She looks a little like you.
I didn't think to ask questions when I was younger...
Wow, what a statement. I sit and think the same thing. My mother used to volunteer certain stuff to us about her side but it is my father's side where all the things are unanswered. Luckily I was able to make the right connections and traced my ancestors all the way back to the one that came over here from the Germany region in 1750. It would have been so much easier had I asked the questions when my father and grandfather were still alive. I don't know why it never occurred to me backthen.
That's a great picture!
Post a Comment