Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Newest Addition


I almost typed "edition". This is the newest addition to our family. Finally his eyes are open.

No computer time. You would think that a house that has 3 computers and two laptops, that I would get more computer time? Uh, no.

For starters only the laptops and my "big" computer have wireless. Wireless is essential with chewing dogs.

My daughter has a friend staying for a couple of weeks so they have been using all the computer space/area/time.

It's all good. I'll live. I mean, really. I am on a computer all day at work. Of course I do not blog, or do personal things. I am not risking getting caught. I am not going to supply them with any ammunition to ever use against me.

Work has been a mixed bag of busy and sad. Some long time friends are retiring. Not direct co-workers, but people I have known and worked with for the past 15 years. Sigh.

Here is a slap in the face. This happens to a lot of folks, I know. A week ago, I told my manager that a device we have on our network should be able to do something we have been looking to purchase. (Remember the suicide incident?).

He gave me the password to the device and gave me the go ahead to look into it. I did a little browsing, but didn't have a lot of time. I would actually have more time next week and next month to really dig into it.

At a meeting yesterday another manager made an announcement to 25 of our school districts that he (and the manager I spoke with) were able to track school district's networks, blah, blah, blah. Exactly what I was supposed to be looking into and had told them the device was capable of doing.

Another rug pulled out from under my feet. I am so glad they figured out (on their own, right?) that we actually have had that capability for a long time. Grrrr.

Later, after the meeting he needed a phone number. I got it for him and gave it to him on a sticky note. He said "Thank-you." I wanted to say "For what? The phone number or the realization that the device can actually record the network flow of our clients' traffic?"

Double grrrr. Spilt milk. Whatever. Okay, griping session is over. Chin up. Grow up. Sit up and just be satisfied that as an organization we are capable of doing this service for our clients regardless of who figured it out. I'm still going to get in there and look at the feature. Just as soon as I have the time.

3 comments:

Tabor said...

Employees like you who keep looking at the big picture rather than keep their nose to the grindstone are valuable. They also are intimidating to some of the weaker minds...!

robin michelle said...

Adorable picture!

I definitely agree with the previous comment. It sounds like your manager, like a lot of people, is just unable to deal with someone who knows more than he does!

Cheyenne said...

I gave up trying to please my bosses long before I left the work force. I mean, really, really long before.