Friday, January 15, 2010

SNAFU

January of last year. My dogwood covered in ice.

I can't believe I have not posted since Tuesday. What have I been doing? I can barely recall the entire week. I don't know. Time is passing so quickly. For all the griping I do about how long and dull January is, I am always surprised at how quickly it passes.

I heard Colin Powell speak about the situation in Haiti tonight. It is sad that we have to put such a political spin on everything anymore. I am sure he is correct. However, from a victim's standpoint who gives a sh!t about the government and how control needs to be in place to safeguard against chaos. The supply teams are looking out for the people of Haiti's best interest so that the greedy government officials don't take all the supplies and keep it all for themselves. I can imagine that the people of Haiti are just saying "Give me the food and water NOW! Worry about the greedy government officials later!"

I do understand that folks like Mr. Powell know much more about this sort of disaster relief than I do but it certainly looks like the rich kid coming in to say "It's my football and we will play the game the way I want to play with my rules, or I am going to take my football and go home." In other words, we will give you supplies and aid, but on our terms. We don't want you ignorant sub-humans to waste it. We try to force other countries to see things the way we see them. It just doesn't work that way. Not without a lot of friction. We continue to shove our way (the best way, I'm sure!) down their throats. Sigh. Same old, same old.
I repeat. I stand behind our country helping Haiti. I also understand what our government is trying to do (after listening to Mr. Powell). I am just imagining what the victims of this disaster and other countries might be thinking about the United States and our way of policing our efforts.

2 comments:

Grumpy said...

Just get the food and water to the people who need it. Everything else should be secondary.

Peruby said...

Grumpy - I agree.