
Empty pods from harvesting Moonflower seeds
I braved the prickly pods of my moonflowers yesterday and harvested all the seeds that they contained. I was hoping that I did it late enough so that I didn't destroy any chance of the plant growing in the area in front of my patio, like I did with them on the side of my house. I will plant seeds this spring and return the moonflowers to the west side of my house.
Speaking of prickly, one of my hard drives failed. Ugh. I have my system setup with Raid 1. One hard drive completely mirrors the other drive. So, if the main drive fails, I have a word for word, byte for byte back up. Overkill ? Perhaps. Waste of space? Perhaps. I also back up new data monthly to an external hard drive. Everything I did in January was backed up Saturday morning. Hmmm. My backup hard drive failed soon after that. I wonder.... probably coincidence. I set this up after I lost a lot of pictures one time. I was making sure this didn't happen again.
As it stands if my main hard drive dies, I can re-install Windows and my programs from the original disks and it might take me a while but slowly put everything back onto my hard drive from my external hard drive. I also take snapshots of my desktop (to see the icons) so that "if" my hard drive does fail, I can remember what programs I actually used on a daily basis. Well, that's the idea anyway.
My sisters and brothers don't back up. Not that I know of. I am not certain they understand the concept. I don't believe they have had a hard drive crash. Maybe one did and he took care of it himself. My one brother understands. He backs up all his email to a CD. It was funny. A couple of weeks ago when I was working on his computer at the fire station, the CD-ROM drive failed. We had to revert to 3 ½ inch floppy drive. All the disks had something on them and I cleaned one off to use it. It has old emails on it. He did not remember what they were. They were mostly old jokes that people had sent him. We got a good laugh at most of them.
I admit that I keep all my emails. But, I don't keep the jokes. Good grief. I keep family and friend correspondence. I don't keep pictures. I save all my pictures to another folder on my hard drive so that I can sort them and back them up monthly.
So, until I purchase another hard drive and install it, things are a little prickly here. Of course, I will physically remove and re-install the "failed" hard drive, just in case it comes back to life on it's own. They do that sometimes you know. Sometimes a cable shakes loose just enough so that it cannot read the hard drive and it "fails". I did just clean the computer out a couple of weeks ago, so I may have loosened a cable then.
If not, a new one in that size costs about $50. Once it is installed I am hoping that my system automatically begins the copying process where it mirrors the "master" drive to the new one. If not, I'll have to sharpen my memory and troubleshooting skills and enter the RAID setup program and do it manually. Fun stuff. This is all and well, I can do that. The trouble is that I did it four years ago or so and I don't recall what steps I took to perform it. And, I believe I had a Dell tech walking me through the procedure. Should be interesting.
Just checked. It was June 2005. I didn't read back into my posts to find this date. I went to the CLI in DOS and looked for the oldest date. CLI (Command Line Interface) and DOS (disk operating system). I worked on computers before Windows. I remember getting new PC's at work and they had this small book that came with them titled Windows 3.0. I was like "Okay, that looks interesting" and put it aside. I started using Windows version 3.1 soon after that. But, before Windows was DOS. And the DOS prompt (C:\). You know with each newer version of Windows the CLI gets harder and harder to use. It is like taking away my safety net, my security blanket. Eh. The times they are a changin'. Gotta roll with it.
Movie update. I watched "The Invention of Lying" and "Surrogates". R Gervais is quite funny, in my book. I laughed out loud when he utilized the pizza boxes and when he opened the door with his long hair. I KNEW when the camera panned on his face who he was going to look like.
Speaking of prickly, one of my hard drives failed. Ugh. I have my system setup with Raid 1. One hard drive completely mirrors the other drive. So, if the main drive fails, I have a word for word, byte for byte back up. Overkill ? Perhaps. Waste of space? Perhaps. I also back up new data monthly to an external hard drive. Everything I did in January was backed up Saturday morning. Hmmm. My backup hard drive failed soon after that. I wonder.... probably coincidence. I set this up after I lost a lot of pictures one time. I was making sure this didn't happen again.
As it stands if my main hard drive dies, I can re-install Windows and my programs from the original disks and it might take me a while but slowly put everything back onto my hard drive from my external hard drive. I also take snapshots of my desktop (to see the icons) so that "if" my hard drive does fail, I can remember what programs I actually used on a daily basis. Well, that's the idea anyway.
My sisters and brothers don't back up. Not that I know of. I am not certain they understand the concept. I don't believe they have had a hard drive crash. Maybe one did and he took care of it himself. My one brother understands. He backs up all his email to a CD. It was funny. A couple of weeks ago when I was working on his computer at the fire station, the CD-ROM drive failed. We had to revert to 3 ½ inch floppy drive. All the disks had something on them and I cleaned one off to use it. It has old emails on it. He did not remember what they were. They were mostly old jokes that people had sent him. We got a good laugh at most of them.
I admit that I keep all my emails. But, I don't keep the jokes. Good grief. I keep family and friend correspondence. I don't keep pictures. I save all my pictures to another folder on my hard drive so that I can sort them and back them up monthly.
So, until I purchase another hard drive and install it, things are a little prickly here. Of course, I will physically remove and re-install the "failed" hard drive, just in case it comes back to life on it's own. They do that sometimes you know. Sometimes a cable shakes loose just enough so that it cannot read the hard drive and it "fails". I did just clean the computer out a couple of weeks ago, so I may have loosened a cable then.
If not, a new one in that size costs about $50. Once it is installed I am hoping that my system automatically begins the copying process where it mirrors the "master" drive to the new one. If not, I'll have to sharpen my memory and troubleshooting skills and enter the RAID setup program and do it manually. Fun stuff. This is all and well, I can do that. The trouble is that I did it four years ago or so and I don't recall what steps I took to perform it. And, I believe I had a Dell tech walking me through the procedure. Should be interesting.
Just checked. It was June 2005. I didn't read back into my posts to find this date. I went to the CLI in DOS and looked for the oldest date. CLI (Command Line Interface) and DOS (disk operating system). I worked on computers before Windows. I remember getting new PC's at work and they had this small book that came with them titled Windows 3.0. I was like "Okay, that looks interesting" and put it aside. I started using Windows version 3.1 soon after that. But, before Windows was DOS. And the DOS prompt (C:\). You know with each newer version of Windows the CLI gets harder and harder to use. It is like taking away my safety net, my security blanket. Eh. The times they are a changin'. Gotta roll with it.
Movie update. I watched "The Invention of Lying" and "Surrogates". R Gervais is quite funny, in my book. I laughed out loud when he utilized the pizza boxes and when he opened the door with his long hair. I KNEW when the camera panned on his face who he was going to look like.
Surrogates is your normal B Willis gets smashed up and finally catches the bad guy and wins his scarred and spiritually broken wife back. Really. It used to be in the old films where the hero didn't even get a scratch. Now, they defy gravity get pummeled almost beyond recognition and keep on ticking. Like a Timex watch or the Energizer bunny. I mean really. At least show him taking an aspirin or rubbing his head in pain sometimes. Maybe he could wash the blood off once in a while? All in all, same old "ho hum, ho hum" for Bruce. Same action-hero character, different movie. More money! More money!
Not a big fan of R Pike. I recognized her and when I researched, I saw that she was in "Fracture". Didn't like her in that movie, either. (I really liked the movie, though.) She is not easy for me to look at. Something about her features. As for her acting, I'd like to see a few more movies before writing her off.
Not a big fan of R Pike. I recognized her and when I researched, I saw that she was in "Fracture". Didn't like her in that movie, either. (I really liked the movie, though.) She is not easy for me to look at. Something about her features. As for her acting, I'd like to see a few more movies before writing her off.
No comments:
Post a Comment