Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Bend


The "taken-for-granted" elbow

I am surprised that it hasn't happened to me before this. Yesterday shortly after writing my last post, my elbow began to hurt. It started out aching, like the old folks say their joints are aching when there is rain coming or something like that. I may have taken some Advil, I don't recall.

I went to bed with a heating pad on it. The kind that shuts itself off automatically after an hour. I awoke at 2 a.m. I was in severe pain. I stumbled around, took a couple of Advil and turned the heating pad on and tried to get comfortable. I watched French Connection II with Gene Hackman. You know how I like him as an actor. I have not seen the first one. The movie was strange in the fact that it kept freezing. Must be a digital thing. I would have been on the computer, but I could not move my fingers without severe pain, let alone type anything or move the mouse.

I finally drifted back to sleep at about 5:30 when my alarm is set to go off at 6. Figures. I was so tired all day. You could see the pain and fatigue in my face. A couple of people gave me that double take when looking at me. Advil kept the pain at bay, but I couldn't wait to run home and wrap the heating pad around my arm again.

I typed this morning with my left hand. Or, I should say I tried to type. It was comical. I moved very slowly doing everything. So much I take for granted! Now I can relate to the expression "Like losing my right arm". Wow.

Things are better and I should be resting it instead of typing, but here I am. Restless.

My sister-in-law's Mother passed away today. They knew it was going to happen. Two nurses yesterday said "She will go in the next 24 hours." I guess they have seen death so much, they know. The massive stroke had left her nearly brain dead. She was a very special lady. So gentle, so kind, and so very giving. May she rest in peace.

4 comments:

Cheyenne said...

Sorry for your family's loss.

Years ago I had to wear a splint on my right hand for months and it is surprising how one adapts to doing things with the other hand. Yes, I was able to type one handed at work even.

Peruby said...

Cheyenne, Thank-you.

My elbow is much better this morning, but I am going to baby it today. I should practice more with my left hand (just in case!)

Tabor said...

Do you think you should see a doctor?

Peruby said...

If the pain continued I would have called the dr. for x-rays or something. I did get an idea on some kind of cream to put on it. I may still purchase that.

It was much better this morning,with only a relapse this evening (probably from pushing it today).