Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Movies

I watched two movies over the long week-end. American Sniper and Selma. Both took me more than one sitting to watch them.

American Sniper reminded me of The Kingdom, which I really liked. It was good, but I liked it less than The Kingdom. I am trying hard to like B Cooper. Or, his choice of characters, I suppose.

Selma was very intense. Both movies are true-life events. Both sad. Both thought provoking and both grabbing you by the collar and saying "Wake up! There is hard life going on all around your precious little happy bubble!" 

It makes me want to crawl under the covers and hide. But I realize, that is what I am already doing. I feel guilty enjoying my life when there is so much pain and un-fairness in the world.


4 comments:

bill said...

I don't see many movies. I did recently get Apple TV and Net Flick but most of their movies seem to be the older ones. Life has it's up and downs for most of us. Pain and unfairness will always be with us. We can do little to change it other than a few bucks occasionally to the Salvation Army or some similar.

messymimi said...

At the end of the day, it is good for us to enjoy the good things in our lives while working to mitigate the bad things in the world as much as we can. It's all we can do.

Tabor said...

We create warriors like the one in Sniper if we reward them for being good at killing...and we do. When we focus on diplomacy and spend as much money on that as we do war, then we might be different. If you mention foreign aid some folks go apoplectic, but if you mention going in and killing their sons and daughters, they see this as a permanent solution, which, of course, it never is. I look forward to seeing both movies.

Kat said...

I know quite a bit about Chris Kyle and have read his book. I'd like to see the movie but I just know if I should. I am such a worrier as it is. I think there is just some stuff I am better off not seeing.