Sunday, January 04, 2015
It starts
To my family and friends, I said "After ten years...." Now, I realize it has been 12 years. 12 years next month I purchased this house. I immediately changed the paint in my bedroom. I had the living room re-done the exact same shade of blue - ceiling and baseboards blue also; for continuity. The painter tried to get me to go with the white ceiling and baseboard, but I liked the way the lady before me had it. That was about the only thing I liked from her style.
I have tolerated this bathroom for (now) 12 years - not 10. It is pink on pink on pink. With pink fixtures, I can see some pink. But this lady had pink roses wall paper and behind the bathtub, pink stripes! Stripes AND flowers. My older sister loved it. Well, she and the lady I purchased the house from were about the same age and from the same generation.
My daughter and I picked up some paint samples. Still the same daughter. She and I agree on nothing.
At work we have some painters in, painting the walls. One suggested I go with gray walls. Well, that got me thinking. My daughter hated the idea. I love it.
I am a slow worker. Do not expect a lot on this project. I work as the spirit guides me. I am not a dedicated or disciplined person. I am artistic and ambivalent. I don't have one vision - I have several thousand visions. I usually like them all. The occupants in my house usually get irritated with me because I can go for months (years) with the room partially done. Some cannot tolerate this kind of arrangement. Me? Again, I am ambivalent. I move, I change, I roll with it.
Right now the sanding has me stalled. I can't stand to wear the mask (I can't breathe) and the dust is far too much NOT to wear one. And, my arm is sore!
The good news is the wallpaper was (is) a heavy fabric material and peels right off without any remaining. It was a heavy, washable kind. Not that I washed the walls. Are you kidding me? I am in no way domesticated and I despise cleaning.
Here is a sample (from what I found on the Internets) of what my bedroom looked like before I had it re-painted. The stripes reflect the actual hue of the color. The flowers give you an idea of the pattern. I did not have a camera when I purchased the house. I have no photos to remind me - just my memory. Some images cannot be erased! LOL!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
You can do ours when you're done.
Quite a bit of work you're doing. The bathroom and the bedroom? I expect to see some after photos when you're all done. Whenever that may be. ;)
That reminds me of what our bathroom was like when we bought this house. That was the first thing we changed. The wallpaper had huge flowers in colors of brown, orange, yellow and white. I would get a headache every time I went in there. We pulled that crap off and painted it a light blue.
Good luck with your endeavors...I am the same way when it comes to projects like that.
I hate these large projects. Your colors remind me just how bland we really are. I like a splash of color.
When we moved in 20 years ago, our place was 70's ugly. It took ten years, but a lot got redone. Now some of it needs it again. The way i figure, if i do it your way, take my time, the kids will be grown and gone by the time i actually do anything, and i'll have it all the way i want it.
Post a Comment