Wednesday, December 31, 2014
Books I read in 2014
It definitely had to be the fact that I read this many books this year was because I was stuck baby sitting my old washing machine. I guess it is a good excuse as any, huh?
But, how nice. To be forced to step away from the computer, away from the television, away from the kitchen (that is constantly calling me) to stay downstairs with nothing to entertain me except for a stack of books and (when charged) my Nook.
I must have 200 plus books uploaded into that little device. Most of the books come recommended by magazines that I read on-line. I then look up the author and instead of just downloading that one book, I download all by that author.
However, in the case of Atkins - the characters are the same, as are the Jack Reacher ones.
I will try to skip around and read various authors. The Nook is still a puzzle for me, though. I swear the books move. I go to the library - they are not there. I go to lost files, they are there. The next time I go to choose a book, they are no longer in lost files - they are on my shelf. WTH?
It is probably me. I am probably doing something to shuffle them around.
I got the idea for this challenge from Raaji. Her "Writings for Life" blog. When I started to research and look at all the books I read this year, I almost fell off of my chair. I could not believe it. I don't think I've read like this since before High School. And fiction, to boot. I like biographies and auto biographies and non-fiction the best.
Well, here it goes. For what it's worth. I also think I read them much too fast to retain much from them. Shame on me.
The Wild - Cheryl Strayed
The Ranger - Ace Atkins
The Broken Places - Ace Atkins
The Woman Upstairs - Claire Messud
Snow White Must Die - Nele Neuhaus
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Ken Kesey
Tortilla Flat - John Steinbeck
Things I Overheard While Talking to Myself - Alan Alda
American Rust - Philipp Meyer
Justified - Elmore Leonard
Ghost Train to the Eastern Star - Paul Theroux
I Loved Lucy - Lee Tannen
Killing Floor (Jack Reacher) - Lee Child
The Other Typist - Suzanne Rindell
The Next Best Thing - Jennifer Weiner
Crazy Rich Asians - Kevin Kwan
The Great Gatsby - F Scott Fitzgerald
The Silent Wife - A.S.A. Harrison
Love and Limerence - Dorothy Tannov
Some of the book reading ideas came from a movie I watched or plan to watch. Some books (actual hardback physical "hold in your hands") came as gifts. Others are quick pdf files that can easily be downloaded from free Internet sites.
I do want to watch the movie "The Wild" now, of course. What book stayed with me the most? I was looking at the list and thinking about this.
Hmmm.....
I have no idea.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
It looks like a fascinating list.
Happy New Year!
You have had a busy year with a varied list.
I tend to download freebies from new authors. Some great, some good, some
ho hum but what would we do with out the written word.
Now that we have e-readers, we read more than we think. I was surprised at how many I read this year as I usually only read before going to bed! E-readers are a mess when it comes to organizing what was read and what was not!! I have trouble figuring out if I have read them event though I create a 'read' file I still cannot get it organized.
Happy New Year with all its blessings and none of its woes.
Wild was one of my favorite books that I've read this year.
Also very good reads:
What Alice Forgot
The Life List
I love your list. Such a variety.
Happy New Year! Happy reading! :)
This is an awesome list! You read so much, I am almost envious now...hehe.
Here's to a lot more reading this year :-)
Post a Comment