In my Samantha (Bewitched) voice: "Wellll?" Sort of a question, sort of a statement of "What can I say?"
And why I have a picture of a bathroom stall door at work is even a bigger question but we won't go there.
Do you ever have one of those times where you ignore the warnings? The sign? You get the "It won't happen to me" thought in your head. It wasn't exactly like that.
We have three bathroom stalls at work for 30 women. On any given day there may be 20 women in the office. More on training days.
The stall doors go all the way to the floor. If the door is closed it usually means the stall is in use. We have cheap doors made of plywood that somebody built. Not the metal doors as most bathrooms have.
For two weeks there has been a sign on one of the stall doors that explains the handle is broken and you may get locked in.
This day (yesterday) I went to use the bathroom. The two "working" stall doors were closed. The third stood wide open and available. I played with the handle. Huh. Seems shaky, I just won't lock it.
And I went in. I did my business. I heard somebody leave. The other stall was empty - somebody had closed the door. Sigh.
I could not get out. There was nobody about. I jiggled. I jostled. I pulled. I pushed. I banged. Nothing. After was seemed like forever (but was probably two minutes) I attempted the over one side of the brick stall into the other stall. I could get up there but I was certain I would fall when I attempted to scale down the other side (having no upper body strength). I figure I would use that as a last resort.
I waited some more. Tick tock. Tick tock. I jiggled the handle some more. It was very loose. I began to bend it. I broke it clean off. On my side. The door latch held fast. I pushed the other side of the knob out and onto the floor outside the stall. The latch held fast. I poked, I prodded. My fingers became oily.
Finally somebody came in. She tried to help me. She could not, so she went to get one of the guys. This office closes early during the summer hours (I don't) and I was lucky there were still people in the offices. She found one of the "guys" who knew about locks and he picked up the handle on the other side, inserted into the latch and click - it opened.
Now, why with all her pushing, turning and this and that didn't it open for her? He explained a bit to us about how locks work and I could tell he was uncomfortable being in the ladies bathroom. I washed my hands and called him my hero and thanked him profusely.
Ah, such is the life of Peruby. Nobody can get stuck in that stall now. I made certain of that. I ripped that sucker right off the door. Granted they were wee tiny little screws holding it into the plywood.
I laughed about it and joked about it to everybody. It is a fun story to tell. I tell them all I was traumatized and thought I would have to stay in there all night. Not a bad place to be if you are stuck overnight (better than an elevator).
Maybe they will get that lock fixed right this time. And for Pete's sake. When you build bathroom doors, leave a foot or so at the bottom so we can peek under them to see feet, okay? Or, worst case scenario, so Peruby can (unladylike) crawl out the bottom when she gets stuck again in one. Sheesh!

5 comments:
I guess sometime huffing and puffing won't do it and a shoulder against the door with weight behind it wouldn't either. I'd have to call virginia, a lock specialist.
Funny story. I agree, there should always be a space at the bottom to look for feet and/or escape.
Now that is funny. I have never seen a door go to the floor. Good thing you aren't claustrophobic.
Any coins on you? Unscrew the hinges.
The locked part of the door was much too strong for me to put my should against it. I knew that I couldn't kick it out, either.
No coins on me. They did tell me I should always take my cell phone with me, but to the restroom? Ick.
Anyway, the hinges are about four feet long or more. They run the entire length of the door. I couldn't even see the screws for them.
Post a Comment