Seriously. I would not have been able to crawl out from underneath these doors. This photo is lifted off the Internets. I may take photos of our buildings bathroom this coming week. Since I have to take my phone with me every time I go, now. Or, maybe I will spare you. LOL!
Up and over. Yeah. I could easily get UP there. It was coming DOWN on the other side I was worried about. The stall I was in just happened to have the handicap bars on the side and I was able to get good leverage by standing on them to get UP. The other side had nothing but two toilet roll paper holders and it was a long way down until I reach the toilet seat. Hopefully, the back of the tank would have been easier. We may never know. :()
Anyway, a few have asked about the door removal and its hinges. I tried to find a picture on line that showed a door hinge that is well over three feet long. It is the normal hinge you see on a door (usually builders will use three of them) but whoever built these put a three(or four)-foot long hinge that ran the entire length of the door. If I had anything, I was unable to reach the screws that held the door fast. The door would need to be open for me to reach the screws.
And - the custodian may just leave over this incident. Our custodian is a great guy. In my opinion. He and I hit it off very well! We joke, we laugh, we talk. We tell stories. We agree to disagree on politics. I think a great deal of him.
He never professed to be a great handy man.He is part time. He cleans our garbage, he cleans the bathrooms and he mows the grass. He is great at lifting, delivering etc.. He is a retired postal worker. He does not profess to be a fix it guy. He was the one that replaced the handle on this stall a while back. He probably went to the hardware store and bought a handle and installed it. It worked for a long time. It was probably a cheap model that gave out over time. Our other two stalls unlock automatically when you push the handle down (when inside). This new handle, you had to turn the button on the knob to un-lock it. Several times it was jammed down (when it was locked) with people thinking it worked the same as the other two stalls, and this probably hastened it giving out sooner than usual.
He seems to be bothered by this incident because everybody is talking about how "This should have been done, or that should be done, or somebody should do something!" I think he feels responsible.
He told me that he was done in December of this year anyway, something about his medical will go another year if he waits until December or something will be extended. He told me but I don't remember. A few of the ladies there cannot stand him. I am trying to figure out why.They are the ones whispering that something should have been done or something was not done correctly, blah, blah, blah. The custodian can get irritated and mad and if somebody does that - he is indifferent to them. He seems to hold a grudge against the ones who are cold and do not appreciate him. For the ladies he likes, he bends over backwards for.
The guy did something right. He has two daughters. Both with masters degrees and very successful occupations.

3 comments:
Geez, nobody died and you don't seem particularly upset, so why be mad at him? Bring in real pros to put on new doors and forget it.
Besides, you have a great story to tell for the rest of your life.
I agree with Grumpy. Some people think the world is theirs and must be perfect at all times. I am sure at their house there is lots of stuff that gets down half-ass. It was a money issue and if the custodian had come up with the replacement that was like the original there would have been lots of bickering by the budget folks on how expensive it was, I am sure. those ladies may be very unhappy with the new custodian. I hope not.
It'll all come out fin the wash .A hundred years from now you'll sparsely remember.
Post a Comment