Wednesday, June 05, 2013

My big boy

I see that I have not posted a photo of my big boy since I got him back. He was gone for a year. A year! He came back and it was just like the day after he left. No changes in him and everybody remembered and loved him. And he loved everybody. He carries on with my other three dogs (well, Sable will only tolerate so much). He is the clown and he is the one who gets everybody outside running around.

He is big and beautiful. Once you get past the mug, that is. When I first brought him home in 2009, my daughter said he was the ugliest dog she had ever seen. He really grows on you.

My floor is taking a beating because he won't stop marking his territory at night. I must get a big cage! (Mentally kicking myself).

He was in a fight a couple of weeks ago. We have some renters about three houses away from us. A duplex and both have a boxer. One boxer just came running into our yard one day when I had all the dogs out. He decided that he did not like the looks of Slade and they went at it with lots of (encouragement?) from the other dogs. My neighbors' dog was out as was a friend of his who was visiting - his dog was out.

It was noisy. I was attempting to get my boxer before they confronted each other but I was too late and all I could do was just try to get out of the way. Everything happened in a blur, but I think our little Cheech got the other boxer's attention because all of a sudden he went after Cheech and Cheech ran and started to yelp.

That seemed to end it all. My neighbor got his and his friends dog in their garage. I got my four in the house and the neighbor lady (who drove her car over) tried to retrieve her boxer. She was not having any luck. He had a collar but they did not have a leash. She had left a young boy in charge of the boxer and he (I think it was a he) could not control him. I gave her a leash and she finally got the boxer into her car.

I checked my dogs over. Lots of slobber but not blood and no cuts. She came back to apologize and she said the same of her boxer. No blood. We got lucky.

The next day I drove past their duplex and the boxer was tied outside stretched all the way to the end of his rope with a cat laying about four feet away just swishing his tail taunting him. The boxer was going nuts.

To be fair, a while back when I let my dogs outside one morning to do their business they spotted that boxer in our yard and they chased him all the way home. I had to go get them. That was early morning and I know it must have awoken all the neighbors. I was half asleep at the time. Now, I check carefully before I let the dogs out (spotted deer two mornings ago in the alley) because of other critters and it creates less chaos this way.

Yep. Still a zoo around here. But you know what. I feel as though I am getting too old for this sh!t.


6 comments:

Grumpy said...

You're never too old to love an animal.

Tabor said...

Chasing animals will certainly get the heart going and the calories burning. But they ARE a lot of work and you do have quite a few!!

Anonymous said...

That's a good story. All's well that ends well.

Cheyenne said...

I had forgotten you had him back.

We have a zoo too, only 4 cats, but they can be precocious at times. And bossy...especially the female. Boy, can she make demands on me. And I cave every time.

kden said...

Dog fights are frightening. And as much of a great dog mine is, I don't trust her more than any other. I still carry pepper spray when I walk with her. She's getting older and crabbier and sometimes doesn't want to put up with a younger dog's advances and smelling of butts. She will turn on them and then the fight is on.

The last fight, we all got lucky too. It's not good for the heart for sure.

Kari in Alaska said...

So glad you have him back. Love a boxer face :)

Stop on by for a visit
Kari
http://dogisgodinreverse.com/